Every day we are turning lives around. Founded in 1978 as Mental Health Systems, Inc., we are in the midst of an exciting new rebranding as TURN Behavioral Health Services, to more fully reflect our holistic approach to engaging the whole person and helping our clients achieve their potential. As one of the most established organizations in our field, we provide services throughout California to eliminate healthcare disparities and shore up gaps for underserved populations facing behavioral health challenges.
We are a non-profit 501(c)3, delivering publicly funded services to populations who are most at risk. These are individuals and families in our communities who are struggling to regain balance and restore meaning in their lives. Today TURN operates more than 80 community-based programs throughout California, with the capacity to serve up to 14,000 clients on any given day.
TURN provides integrated services along the continuum of care from prevention to intervention, treatment, and successful recovery and stabilization. We support an incredibly diverse client base, including adults, children, and families, including the homeless and veterans. We combine services with supportive housing wherever possible and match the level of care provided to each client’s individual needs. For more information, please visit: https://www.turnbhs.org/
Culture & Leadership
As mentioned earlier, we are in the business of saving lives. Our work can be emotionally intense, which is why we place such a premium on having fun and enjoying the company of our team. We work hard to nourish a culture that is open, engaging and uplifting. Under the leadership of CEO Jim Callaghan over the past 6 years, we have continued to grow and develop as an organization. We benefit from the stability and guidance of an extremely experienced leadership team, with many staff achieving 20+ years of service, including COO Dr. Wendy Broughton. As a member of this senior team, the VP of People, Culture & Growth will report to directly to our CEO, working in partnership to create and lead diverse teams, with a heavy focus on our culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and enthusiasm.
Benefits & Features
- Salary: $140,000 – $165,000 DOE/Neg.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life, AD&D, and disability insurance
- 401(k) with a 4% contribution
- 20 days paid time off
- 10 days paid sick leave
- 15 days paid holidays
This is a hybrid role, with our corporate office located at 9465 Farnham Street, San Diego, CA 92123. This role is required to be onsite 3 days per week to be determined with our CEO, with anticipated travel of 10% – 15% to visit program sites throughout California as required.
We recognize that an organization of our size and complexity requires thoughtful, strategic HR leadership to support our culture and growth. For this reason, TURN created the new VP of People, Culture & Growth role, to develop and lead organization-wide HR strategies, operations, and organizational development initiatives. Reporting to the CEO and managing a team of 4 HR professionals, the VP will oversee all areas of Human Resources, including employment policies, procedures, and compliance therein. The VP will be responsible for creating and implementing innovative and effective employee relations strategies, including DEI experience, recruiting, retention, culture, learning and development, career pathways, wellness, health, and safety. This is a highly collaborative role, serving as a strategic thought partner and sounding board to the CEO, as well as our COO, CFO, and CTO. They will help shape discussions and decisions related to the strategic direction of the organization while also providing project support at both the tactical and strategic levels. This is a tremendous opportunity for a dynamic, strategic thinker, with exceptional people skills to have a significant impact on the employee experience of every team member at TURN.
Areas of Responsibility
People & Culture
- Increase HR’s profile, playing a more active role in all areas of the organization; boost connectivity between staff across all our locations and departments; work to eliminate silos.
- Serve as the “voice” of the staff at the senior management level, advocating for programs and departments, and driving solutions that align with our core values.
- Leverage technology to improve efficiencies and outcomes; implement new L&D systems and tools to support strategic talent development outcomes.
- Ensure our staff feel valued, supported, and empowered to grow both personally and professionally through their careers.
- Support staff feedback and implement different types of feedback loops that are consistent with our culture.
- Design career pathways with a transparent promotional process for all positions to ensure great clarity but maintain flexibility in staff roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure the onboarding process for new hires is organized, effective, and welcoming.
- Proactively conduct reviews of our salary structure at regular intervals; make recommendations for equalization of salaries across jobs.
- Lead our talent retention efforts including employee recognition and promotion scales, as well as team recognition.
- Ensure we instill a culture of diversity and social justice in every area of our organization and that our team reflects the communities we serve.
- Take ownership of the HR function, including department management and the full suite of human resource-related services and operations.
- Create and implement HR systems that will meet the needs of the organization today and sustain our growth into the future.
- Position HR as a customer-focused business partner that proactively seeks opportunities to support TURN’s various programs and departments.
- Lead, coach, mentor and manage the HR team/department. Solicit customer feedback to inform process improvements.
- Partner with leadership in the formation and rollout of strategic business and HR initiatives.
- Develop and implement policies, processes, training, project/program initiatives, and surveys to support company and HR objectives.
- Assist community teams by providing clarification and training on issues pertaining to HR policies, programs, and procedures.
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations including HIPAA standards.
- Maintain knowledge of HR and business trends, recommend best practices, and regularly review and modify policies and practices to maintain compliance and create improved ways of working.
- Assist with the distribution and training of new and revised HR-related materials both in-person and virtual environments.
- Oversee benefits administration, including claims resolution, change reporting, audits, enrollment, and annual re-evaluation of policies.
- Proactively manage benefits costs to achieve savings wherever possible.
- Review feedback and analyze data to make recommendations to senior management for continuous improvement.
- Provide reports to the Executive Team as requested.
- Demonstrated experience in a Human Resources leadership role at a large organization, including expertise in leading and managing a team, benefits administration, HR and Employee Relations functions, payroll administration, and state and federal employment laws and regulations.
- A strategic thinker with the ability to envision the future, create plans, and lead a team that will help us get there.
- Strong emotional intelligence with a deep appreciation for the role of culture in shaping strategy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with a large team, and train others in the application of Human Resources systems, programs, and processes.
- Prior experience supporting multiple work locations.
- Proficient user of HRIS systems.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As an essential health provider, we are held to the state health mandate in that our employees must be vaccinated and boosted or provide the necessary documentation for exemption. Under the exemption clause, such an employee must submit to weekly tests to ensure negative status and safety for the workforce. Across the board, we are under the mask mandate.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Tia Anzellotti, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101