Vice President of Property Management and Maintenance
For more than 40 years, the San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) has provided essential housing services to families and individuals with low-income and experiencing homelessness in the City of San Diego. SDHC has earned a national reputation as a model public housing agency, creating innovative programs to address the housing crisis in the City of San Diego – the eighth largest city in the nation and the second largest in California.
SDHC’s properties provide essential housing for seniors, families, and permanent supportive housing participants. The portfolio includes a wide range of units, including multifamily high-rise buildings, single-family homes, Single-Room Occupancy (SRO) units, and Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs). SDHC also partners with third-party resident service providers to offer onsite supportive services for residents at many of these properties. For more information about SDHC, please visit: www.sdhc.org.
LEADERSHIP & CULTURE
Our vision: everyone in the City of San Diego has a home they can afford. This vision is both the foundation of our organizational culture and the shared commitment amongst the 390 team members comprising our agency. Leading us in this important work is Lisa Jones, an accomplished and long-serving executive at the Commission who was recently promoted into the role of President and Chief Executive Officer. In her more than 20 years of service in the areas of affordable housing and homelessness, Lisa has developed and implemented housing assistance approaches that focus on the unique needs of clients. Formerly serving as the SDHC’s Executive Vice President of Strategic Initiatives, she is just the sixth leader in the agency’s 45-year history, which reflects the agency’s stability, financial strength, and dedication to developing and advancing talented leaders from within the organization.
This role will temporarily report to Deputy CEO Jeff Davis, a 27-year veteran of the SDHC, as he works to expand the Real Estate Division. As the second most senior leader in the organization, Jeff works closely with the President & Chief Executive Officer on a variety of strategic initiatives to anticipate challenges and deliver innovative solutions that will have a positive impact on the families SDHC serves. As part of his portfolio, Jeff oversees the SDHC’s Real Estate Division, including direct oversight of the Property Management and Asset Management departments.
SDHC is committed to training, development, and internal promotion, within a stable culture that supports team members personally and professionally. Our exceptional employee benefits package is another reflection of that commitment to building tenure and strong professional expertise.
BENEFITS & FEATURES
- Salary – $155,000 – $185,000 DOE
- 9/80 compressed work schedule with alternating Fridays off
- Employer-paid pension contribution of 14% to base salary
- 457 tax-deferred savings plan with a 1.5% employer match
- Compensation for exceeding performance expectations
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Flexible spending account
- PTO: 28 days of annual leave, 14 paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement of up to $5,000 annually, training opportunities, and mentoring program
- Wellness and employee assistance programs
- Rewards and recognition program
- Car allowance
For more information on SDHC’s benefits package, please visit: www.sdhc.org/sdhc-employee-benefits/.
This is a hybrid role with an office located at 1122 Broadway, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101.
The VP of Property Management and Maintenance is a highly visible leadership position, interfacing with a wide array of colleagues and stakeholders, both internally and externally, including senior SDHC executives, the SDHC board, city council, contracted service providers, and more. The position is broad in scope, ensuring no two days are the same. The VP will oversee a diverse property portfolio of more than 2,000 affordable housing units and homes located throughout the City of San Diego. Also covered under the portfolio are SDHC’s corporate headquarters, a class-A office, and mixed-use complex, as well as the city’s homeless response center building, both of which are located in the heart of Downtown San Diego.
The VP will join a growing department of more than 50 experienced professionals, who are working collaboratively to develop and manage housing for low-to-moderate-income San Diegans. Each team member is committed to SDHC’s mission and cares deeply about the work they do. In addition to leading the department and managing a $32 million annual budget, the VP must carefully balance multiple bottom-line objectives, supporting social impact with financial performance. The VP will manage four Regional Managers and two Facilities Coordinators.
SDHC is one of only 39 original Moving to Work (MTW) agencies, selected from approximately 3,200 public housing authorities across the nation. This special MTW status provides SDHC the flexibility to design and implement innovative, cost-effective approaches to provide Federal housing assistance. The VP will have plenty of growth opportunities, as we look for additional properties to create more affordable housing. SDHC invests heavily in maintaining and improving the properties in its portfolio. All SDHC properties are within San Diego County, so no long-distance travel, other than the occasional professional conference, is required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage SDHC’s Property Management and Maintenance programs, services, and activities.
- Oversee portfolio and property performance, complete budget to actual comparisons, analyze financial performance and key performance indicators, and other trend analysis.
- Stay informed about new affordable housing trends and innovations, as well as federal (U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)), state, California Tax Credit Allocation Committee (CTCAC), and local regulations pertaining to SDHC’s portfolio.
- Ability to be on-call to address emergency situations.
- Mission-driven and passionate about helping people.
- Demonstrated management experience, with a strategic and hands-on approach to problem-solving and the ability to work collaboratively to help team members achieve their goals.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral; comfortable communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the board, and outside stakeholders/partners.
- Good business acumen; enjoys implementing and using technology; skilled at leveraging efficiencies and designing workflows.
- Adept in budget development and management, contract administration, and general principles of risk management.
- Strong understanding and appreciation for good stewardship of public funds.
- An analytical thinker with a continuous improvement mindset; extremely detail-oriented and motivated to achieve measurable outcomes.
- Superb people skills, including the ability to connect with and inspire a wide range of stakeholders.
- Skilled at change management with a solutions-based approach to challenges and opportunities.
- Ability to thoughtfully and carefully synthesize and deliver decisions and information.
- Keeps abreast of what is happening in the market.
SDHC employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment. Candidates who receive a conditional job offer and wish to make a request for accommodation will be provided with more information. SDHC will review requests for medical or religious accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act.