Founded in 2006 by passionate veterinarians and caring community members, the Foundation for Animal Care and Education (FACE) is on a mission to enhance companion animals’ lives by providing life-saving medical care, essential supplies, and education. With eight staff members, 40 volunteers, and three impactful programs, we are dedicated to ending economic euthanasia.
Save a Life Program: Over the past 17 years we have partnered with over 190 veterinary hospitals in San Diego County and Oahu and have granted $7.6 million in aid to save 4,074 pets, receiving a 25% discount from partnering veterinary hospitals on FACE cases – a savings of $3.7 million.
Community Outreach: Since 2016, we have collaborated with 11 nonprofits, assisting over 12,500 pet owners, including those experiencing homelessness, with veterinary care and supplies.
Humane Education Program: Our STEAM programs highlight the human-animal bond through engaging, hands-on curriculum.
Rated among San Diego’s top animal charities, we recently expanded our impact to Oahu, Hawaii in October 2023!
LEADERSHIP & CULTURE
FACE is led by a passionate and engaged Board of Directors, many of whom have been involved with the organization for years, including co-founders Cini Gannon-Robb and Dr. Keith P. Richter. They are involved with maintaining the history of the organization while encouraging the Executive Director and staff to chart an innovative path of growth. The Executive Director will exemplify and further develop the positive culture of the organization while growing the team, embracing diversity, and fostering an environment where every team member is empowered to excel. They will blend the depth of our programs with the efficacy of best practices, fiscal accountability, and organizational impact.
BENEFITS & FEATURES
- Salary – $125,000 – $145,000
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance. Pet insurance for 1 pet.
- PTO: 2 weeks paid vacation, 8 paid sick days, 7 paid holidays, 2 personal days.
This is an in-person role with an office located at 10505 Sorrento Valley Rd., Suite 175, San Diego, CA 92121.
This is an incredible opportunity to lead one of the top animal care organizations in the San Diego region and expand our reach in Oahu, Hawaii. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will steer FACE’s success, managing a $2 million budget and employing creative strategies to enhance programs and partnerships. The Executive Director will be a prominent leader in the community, work in close partnership with the Board, and oversee four direct reports: the Director of Development, Communications & Marketing Manager, Animal Grants & Community Outreach Manager, and Operations Administrator. Although our impact numbers are impressive, the organization has incredible unrealized potential to do even more. We seek a visionary leader who can modernize, scale, and maximize our impact through innovative internal systems, resource stewardship, and an effective development strategy.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage and inspire a diverse range of stakeholders to support our work and help advance our mission.
- Lead fund development efforts and participate in securing and stewarding donations.
- Serve as a visible public advocate for FACE and our need for philanthropic support; cultivate and build relationships and partnerships that help advance our mission.
- Provide inspirational leadership, team building, and growth opportunities to the team, while ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of the organization’s programs and activities.
- Exercise prudent oversight of the funds that have generously been entrusted to the organization in support of its service to the community.
- Guide the organization through regular strategy and planning sessions to assess programmatic effectiveness and financial objectives.
- Support effective board governance practices, including board development efforts, recruitment, onboarding, oversight, and continuous engagement.
- Ensure adherence to ethical standards, operational accountability, and legal compliance.
- Proven success in fundraising, stewarding, and diversifying funding sources such as individual giving, legacy giving, events, grants, contracts, and other partnerships; Salesforce and DonorPerfect experience is a plus.
- Senior leadership expertise in strategic planning, board engagement, change management, team collaboration, and talent development.
- Track record of building effective partnerships with diverse constituencies, including businesses, government entities, community-based organizations, and individuals.
- Exceptional people skills, with strong listening and communication abilities to connect with and inspire stakeholders. Highly empathetic, exhibiting sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success in driving organizational growth and implementing innovative programs with a data-driven lens.
- Solid understanding of fiscal management with budget development and management experience.