International Relief Teams is a nonprofit humanitarian organization dedicated to alleviating human suffering caused by poverty, disaster, and neglect – from the forgotten corners of the world to right here in San Diego – by sending relief supplies, financial support, volunteer teams, and other assistance to where it is needed most. In the last year alone, we have provided support in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, Mexico, and the U.S. Since our founding 35 years ago, International Relief Teams has deployed more than 7,500 volunteers and delivered more than $674 million in aid to 76 countries worldwide.
While our overall impact is quite significant, what has been key to International Relief Teams’ success is that we have remained small and nimble. Our number one priority is to identify the most efficient way to deliver aid where it is needed most. To this end, we have developed an incredible ability to work in-country with highly effective organizations and leaders on the front lines of humanitarian challenges. As partners, we work together to accomplish mutual goals in alleviating human suffering by leveraging resources to achieve the greatest impact. Our programs fall into two general impact areas:
- Disaster Relief – We provide relief supplies (food, water, hygiene kits, medicine, medical supplies, construction materials, etc.) and/or construction volunteers as needed in response to natural and man-made disasters, internationally and here in the U.S.
- International Development – Our Building Healthy Communities programs focus on providing long-term, sustainable solutions that empower communities and promote self-sufficiency. This includes providing sustainable food, water, and shelter that align with community needs; medicine and medical supplies to hospitals and clinics around the world; meeting the nutrition needs of orphaned children; and providing and delivering food to local schoolchildren in San Diego. In the area of development work, there is a great and exciting opportunity for growth.
LEADERSHIP & CULTURE
Based in San Diego, our 8-member team is passionate about alleviating human suffering around the world. Although we are a well-established organization with strong financial reserves and 35 years of history, we embrace the culture and operating ethos of a startup. For us, this means thinking creatively, encouraging innovation, moving quickly, and accepting an element of risk, as and when required. International Relief Teams is governed by a dedicated and supportive Board of Directors.
The Development Director will report to our CEO, Angelica Ocampo, who brings over 30 years of leadership experience with international organizations and a strong fundraising background. Since joining International Relief Teams in 2022, Angelica has fostered a culture of entrepreneurial thinking and support for personal and professional growth at both the individual and team levels.
BENEFITS & FEATURES
- Salary – $100,000 – $130,000.
- Monthly stipend for medical insurance.
- 401(k) with a 25% employer match.
- PTO: 3 weeks of paid time off, 40 hours paid sick leave, 9 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, except in the event of an emergency.
- Every other Friday off.
This is an onsite leadership position, based in our corporate office located at 3545 Camino del Rio South, Suite A, San Diego, CA 92108. International Relief Teams’ staff have every other Friday off.
Reporting to the CEO and supervising the Development Data Associate, the Development Director will provide strategic direction and leadership across all facets of International Relief Teams’ fundraising initiatives. This encompasses individual and corporate giving, major gifts, special events, planned giving, foundation relations, and grants. Leveraging past fundraising achievements, the Director will be entrusted to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan. This plan will employ creative and innovative strategies to diversify and expand the organization’s fundraising portfolio, boost revenue, and enhance International Relief Teams’ brand and reputation as the top provider of global humanitarian relief and development in Southern California. There is also ample opportunity to build and cultivate donors in key markets across the country, including Los Angeles, New York, and Boston. This is a highly collaborative role, working in partnership with the staff and Board of Directors to optimize donor cultivation and support to advance our mission.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, develop, and execute strategies for all fundraising areas including major gifts, individual giving, planned giving, special events, grants, and corporate sponsorships.
- Develop and manage an annual fundraising budget.
- Implement innovative strategies for securing new funding resources.
- Partner with the leadership team to plan and execute special events, including a biennial gala.
- Oversee grant proposal development and reporting.
- Manage prospective and current funder relationships, ensuring all funders are informed about our work on an ongoing basis and feel connected to our organization.
- Build and cultivate trusting relationships with key organizations and community partners.
- Collaborate with the leadership team and marketing consultant to Integrate development and marketing/communications strategies to maximize International Relief Teams’ brand exposure and fundraising opportunities.
- Work with staff members, the Board of Directors, and other stakeholders to proactively enhance, expand, and execute development efforts, building current and new relationships.
- Serve as liaison to the Board of Directors in all development-related areas.
- Establish policies, systems, and procedures, with a special emphasis on professionalism and ethical standards, for soliciting, acknowledging, tracking, and reporting gifts.
- Supervise the appropriate use of Blackbaud/Raiser’s Edge software and reporting, ensuring donor privacy, data accuracy, and timeliness of acknowledgments and reporting.
- Leverage technology and data across all development strategies and practices.
- Passion and appreciation for global humanitarian work.
- Demonstrated professional fundraising experience, with a complete end-to-end understanding of fundraising strategies, systems, and processes.
- Experience working directly with individuals, foundations, and corporations to cultivate and secure gifts at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience supporting programmatic fundraising efforts, including grant management, reporting, and proposal development.
- Strong leadership skills, with a collaborative spirit and strong management skills, including budget development and management.
- Effective communication skills, written and oral; comfortable communicating key data points and presenting to the Board, donors, and partners from diverse backgrounds.
- Exceptional managerial experience, with an inclusive leadership style, and the ability to lead and inspire staff, donors, and partners.
- Donor CRM database knowledge and experience, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge preferred.