For 27 years, the Visual Effects Society (VES) has worked to advance and celebrate the art and science of visual effects in entertainment. VES serves as a global community for seasoned professionals who create stunning effects for film, television, commercials, animation, special venues, games, and new media.
We are a professional honorary society, classified as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, serving nearly 5,000 members in 45+ countries – fostering collaboration, knowledge sharing, and recognition of outstanding achievements in visual effects. VES is a driving force, actively promoting and supporting the visual effects industry through impactful events, programs, and initiatives that fuel growth and innovation in this ever-evolving sector.
LEADERSHIP & CULTURE
This is an exciting time to join the dynamic VES team as we are ready for growth! With new leadership and a new Strategic Plan, we are excited to expand our committed, collaborative team to support the Society’s evolution and global expansion. The Associate Director is a new position that will become an integral part of our team of nine highly dedicated professionals, collectively working to advance the impactful mission of VES.
BENEFITS & FEATURES
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Medical and dental insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan
- 10 vacation days, 6 paid sick days, 9 paid holidays
- Parking paid by VES
This opportunity offers hybrid working arrangements, with an office based in Sherman Oaks, CA. During the initial onboarding, the Associate Director will need to be on-site at the VES office daily for training and orientation.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Associate Director (AD) will lead efforts to enhance and modernize organizational systems and processes to maximize impact and increase efficiency. They will work closely with every team member to help them grow with the organization and focus on work that makes the highest and best use of their unique talents. The AD will help build in protocols for sustainable business operations. With overall strategic and operational responsibility for programs and operations, the AD will serve as a key partner and sounding board for the Executive Director, managing day-to-day operations so the ED can focus on external initiatives such as industry outreach, board development/governance, and partnerships.
The AD will work closely with the VES team comprised of: Administrative Assistant, Global Manager, Office Manager, Program Manager, Content Manager, Director of Membership Services, and Director of Operations. The AD will bring innovative strategies to nurture an inclusive and equitable culture that embraces the diversity of VES’ team, bridges global operations, increases the engagement of our staff, and ensures mission alignment between programs, partnerships, and events.
Strategic priorities for this position include:
- Engagement: develop a thorough understanding of the organization, team roles, programs, and partnerships.
- Execution: triage issues and priorities, ensuring a focus on the big picture.
- Organizational Development: ensure internal structure, processes, procedures, and personnel evolve to support growth and sustainability.
- Operations: manage the annual calendar, explore and implement new systems with the Operations Director.
- Talent and Performance: assist HR with hiring and onboarding; oversee performance reviews and implement career pathways to develop and retain staff.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to guide the organization through regular strategy and planning sessions to assess programmatic effectiveness, impact, and financial objectives.
- Owning the annual calendar of events and planning for future success.
- Facilitating role restructuring as new projects and personnel come aboard.
- Provide inspirational leadership, team building, and growth opportunities to the professional staff, while ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of VES’ programs and activities.
- In coordination with the Controller, refine, create, and implement effective and efficient internal operations and updated procedures.
- Explore and implement new platforms and technology, with the Controller and team, to streamline efficiencies across the organization.
- Promote a culture of high performance, continuous improvement that values learning, and a commitment to quality and impact.
- Ensure adherence to the highest ethical standards, driving operational and programmatic accountability and compliance with all relevant legal guidelines and best practices.
- Develop long-term strategies for organizational staffing and structure that ensure VES’ current and future needs are met.
- Proven leadership and management expertise in staff development and re-structuring, project management, and business operations.
- Background in HR management/operations highly desirable.
- Brings a positive, solutions-oriented approach to work and relationships.
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral; exceptionally well-developed listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build impactful partnerships across diverse constituencies, including employees, board members and VES leadership, volunteers, donors, and partners.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills, adept at managing multiple projects concurrently with meticulous attention to detail.
- Highly empathetic, exhibiting sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy in interactions with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven success in fostering organizational growth and implementing a long-term strategic plan.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
VES employees must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster.