Compensation: $115,000 – $125,000 DOE/Neg.
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports To: Artistic Director (Contractor), Managing Director, Marketing & Communications Director,
Development Associate, Grantwriter (Contractor)
Compensation: $115,000 – $125,000 DOE/Neg.
WHO WE ARE:
We are part of a movement for positive social change that is building a voice and an audience for marginalized perspectives. Originally founded in 2000 as the San Diego Asian Film Festival, Pacific Arts Movement (Pac Arts) has grown to become one of the nation’s largest media arts organizations dedicated to enriching the community through stories of Asia and its diaspora. Our mission is to inspire, entertain, and support a more compassionate society through the Pan Asian media arts. Pac Arts aims to serve the broadest audience possible to transform lives, expand people’s view of the world, and strengthen San Diego’s love of film and film culture. With a budget approaching $800,000, the organization is sustained by a passionate, creative and diverse team of 4 full-time staff, in partnership with our talented contractors and volunteers.
We fulfill our mission by:
- Presentingculturally enriching programs that would otherwise be inaccessible to the public.
- Engaging the public in meaningful discourse that promotes positive social change.
- Promoting artistic excellence, innovation, and the independent voice.
- StrengtheningSan Diego as an arts destination.
Pac Arts produces 2 major film exhibitions each year and a successful youth documentary training program called Reel Voices. The annual San Diego Asian Film Festival (presented in the fall) and the Spring Showcase present a diverse selection of high-quality films from around the world, complemented by meaningful discussions with filmmakers and artists. These two events touch up to 30,000 audience and community members.
As a highly connected nonprofit organization, Pac Arts sits at the intersection of Art, Social Justice and Community Engagement. In 2020 we stepped up to serve as one of the founding members and fiscal sponsor of San Diego’s API Coalition, a collaboration of over 35 different organizations working to stamp out the recent hate and injustices directed at members of the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) community across the US. Our success over the past two decades is based on our healthy and supportive culture and commitment to shared values.
Our Core Values:
- Innovation& Creativity
- Exceeding Expectations
- Social& Artistic Leadership
- Commitment to Inclusion & Diversity
This position and this organization go far beyond film and promoting the arts. We don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that this is an opportunity to engage with some of the largest social and economic issues of our time. Pac Arts’ work is central to driving critical conversations, creating, and shaping communities. The Executive Director will have wide latitude to develop and implement their vision for achieving our mission and goals. This is an extremely hands-on leadership position, managing our 4 core team members, supported by 6 additional staff in smaller year-round roles. During festival periods, overall management responsibility can grow by up to an additional 50 volunteers and contractors. It’s a formidable job, but also an incredibly rewarding one.
Our ideal candidate could come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Our main requirements: visionary leadership, organization, relationship building and the ability to make authentic community connections. There are so many ways that can grow and evolve. We seek a passionate and dynamic leader who wants to truly lead, make decisions, and enjoy seeing the direct impact of their work.
Strategic priorities for this position include:
- Develop a deep understanding of Pac Arts as an organization and each of our programs,
- Spend time with each direct report, developing relationships, building trust, and getting to know their individual roles and skill sets to create an environment that helps the team thrive collectively .
- Get immersed in our community and spend time with our donors, partners, and volunteers.
- Conduct an organization-wide scan: how and where are we spending our time and resources –are those the right priorities? How can we be even more effective? Where can we drive the greatest impact?
- Asa thought leader, devise strategies that increase our ability to innovate as an organization.
- Play a lead role in strategic planning including gap analysis and risk assessment/management, working to ensure we have the people and infrastructure in place to support continued growth of the organization and our programs.
- Ensure consistency across all our communications, internal and external; devise strategies for creating visibility for Pac Arts at the national and even international levels.
Tactical priorities for this position include:
- Connect with all of our stakeholders (staff, board, volunteers, filmmakers, donors) and share your energy, passion and vision for taking Pac Arts to the next level.
- Oversee the organization’s transition back to in-person events and programming; showcase our strength and vitality as we return.
- Begin preparing for the fall 2022 film festival and awards gala.
- Overseerelocation to a new office space,
- Begin building a portfolio of artist/film maker relationships.
- Sustain and scale our youth outreach and education programs.
- Continue monitoring legislation and legal requirements around AB5, ensure our staffing modeladapts accordingly to remain in compliance.
- Focuson taking care of our volunteers – they make this work possible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Visioning & Strategic Direction
- Identify opportunities to expand and leverage Board membership .
- Inspire and collaborate with staff and Board to drive towards a shared vision, including an update of our current strategic plan.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the local and national nonprofit and media arts fields.
Fundraising and Development
- With support of the Board and staff, maintain and deepen current relationships with corporate partners while cultivating new opportunities to raise $300,000+ annually in sponsorships.
- Raise $180,000 in additional sponsorships, table/seat sales, live auction, community legacy funds, and donations.
- Partner with the Membership Manager and Committee to develop and execute strategies to meet annual goal of $80,000 in memberships.
- Work with Development Manager and Grant Writing consultant to raise $200,000 in grant funding; ensure completion of grant commitments, acknowledgements, and final reporting.
- Cultivate and steward individual members, donors, and grantors through in•-person meetings and direct communications.
- Oversee management of sponsor/donor deliverables.
- Manage the team responsible for creation of our annual exhibitions, with duties to include:
- Developing the vision and themes of each Festival.
- Ensuring that the Festival schedule, partnerships, and programs are strategic and advance organizational goals.
- Working with selected partner organizations and developing new high-level partnerships to ensure engagement.
- In collaboration with our Artistic Director and Board Chair, serve as a spokesperson, introducing key events, moderating discussion panels, representing Pac Arts at other festivals.
- With support of the Board and staff, produce signature events including annual awards gala and Chew the Scene culinary experience.
- Work with the Managing Director to oversee the direction and success of Reel Voices.
- Provide annual assessment and evaluation of program activities.
- Sustain a work culture reflective of our organization’s values in attracting, developing and motivating a diverse team.
- Work with staff to develop annual goals aligned with our strategic plan, budget, and programs.
- Encourage staff development and education.
- Plan annual goal setting and staff retreat.
- Promote active and broad participation by staff and volunteers in our work.
- Forge a positive, trusting working relationship with the Board of Directors and maintain ongoing communication with the Board; serve as liaison between Board and staff.
- Serve on Executive Board and Board Affairs Committee.
- Presentan ED Report at monthly Board meetings.
- Help plan and actively participate in an annual Board retreat
- Assist with identifying, recruiting, onboarding and developing Board members.
- Oversee recruitment and employment of both full-time employees and contractors.
- Draft necessary MOUs and contracts.
- Ensure job descriptions are developed, regular performance evaluations are held, and sound human resource practices are in place.
- Manage employee compensation and benefits.
- Conductmid•year and year-end reviews and evaluations.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations..
Budget and Finance
- Develop and maintain sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff and Board in developing the annual budget, communicate budget goals and needs with staff, and ensure Pac Arts operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure adequate funds are available for the organization to carry out its work.
- Ensure annual audit and tax filings are timely and complete.
- Approve expenses and reimbursements.
- Serve as the main spokesperson for Pac Arts and all our programs.
- Write content for articles, press releases and digital platforms to promote the organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships with public and elected officials to educate them about Pac Arts’ activities, vision and impact.
- Actively participate in appropriate arts and civic organizations.
- Maintain relationships with local media; attend and speak at events on behalf of Pac Arts.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Tia Anzellotti, Director
Blair Search Partners: 1855 First Ave., Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101