We exist to serve, and in so doing, help to strengthen the local communities we call home. Founded in 1971, Spectrum Community Services, Inc. (Spectrum) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization assisting low-income individuals, families, and seniors to achieve financial sustainability and improve their quality of life. In partnership with over 20 local service organizations across Alameda County, Spectrum serves 8,000 clients annually, through a variety of community programs and services, including:
- Fall Prevention Program – offers a multi-pronged approach proven to be the most effective strategy to address the range of issues that lead to falls.
- Meals on Wheels – offers healthy, home-delivered meals for seniors who are unable to prepare their own food and have difficulty with mobility.
- Senior Meals – freshly prepared, nutritious meals are distributed at 12 sites across Alameda County where registered seniors can pick up a warm, delicious meal.
- Connect – our new program which will provide friendly visiting – both in-person and remote options – pet support and home modifications.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program – provides households with a one-time payment of up to $3,000, per program year, for their power bill.
- Low Income Home Water Assistance Program – provides households with a one-time payment of up to $2,000, per program year, for past due water or sewage bills.
- Low Income Weatherization Assistance Program – offers heater, water heater, and weatherization services.
For more information, visit: https://www.SpectrumCS.org/
Leadership & Culture
Spectrum is led by a compassionate senior leadership team committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity, transparency, and growth, both personally and professionally. Every member of our leadership team works hard to ensure staff feel empowered and supported. We recognize and invest in professional development as an opportunity to both grow and recharge ourselves. This position reports to the Executive Director, Lara Calvert, an experienced and recognized community leader, with nearly a decade of leadership tenure at Spectrum. The new Director will join an engaged and energized team of 37 human services professionals working collaboratively for the individuals, families, and seniors of Alameda County.
Benefits & Features
- Salary: $100,000 – $120,000 DOE/Neg.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage 100% employer paid for employee
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with matching
- 10-25 Paid Days Off based on seniority
- 12 Sick Days
- 14 Paid Holidays
This is a hybrid role, with an office located at 2621 Barrington Court, Hayward, CA 94545.
This newly created position will be an exceptional opportunity to impact the way Spectrum serves and develops its people. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of People & Culture will have the autonomy and responsibility to develop and implement an organization-wide, best-in-class, people, talent, and culture strategy. They will oversee all areas of Human Resources, including HR administration, succession planning, talent recruitment and management, change management, performance management, training and development, and employee engagement. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, this is a very high-profile position within Spectrum, and will serve as a thought partner and strategic advisor to the Executive Director in all areas related to people and culture. This is an excellent opportunity for a compassionate, and intentional leader, with exceptional people skills to have a significant impact on the individual and collective success of Spectrum employees.
Strategic priorities for this new position include:
- Hiring and recruiting – filling 7+ new positions to support our growth.
- Create and implement a DEIB vision and strategy for the entire organization.
- Complete a culture audit to identify and further develop our strengths.
- Updating our hiring and onboarding processes.
- Review and update HR policies and procedures.
- Implement a professional development strategy for each position.
Duties and Responsibilities
HR Management & Administration
- Create and implement HR systems that will meet the needs of the organization today and sustain organizational growth into the future.
- Position HR as a customer-focused business partner that proactively seeks opportunities to support Spectrum’s various programs and departments.
- Analyze current policies and procedures and upgrade them to ensure they are at the forefront of best practices, Spectrum’s government contracts, and legal requirements; update our employee handbook accordingly.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal employment regulations.
- Manage relations with HR vendors and service providers such as insurance and employee benefits brokers and consultants.
- Proactively and empathetically manage employee relations issues; guide and coach team leaders to become better managers.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEIB)
- In partnership with the Senior Leadership, oversee and implement organization-wide efforts involving DEIB and cultural competency.
- Assist in identifying ways to intentionally reduce barriers for staff to fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement within Spectrum.
- Examine all Spectrum policies, procedures, documents, and functions with a diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging lens; recommend changes to create an even more inclusive and welcoming organization for all.
Leadership & Strategy
- Partner effectively with staff at all levels of the organization, building trusting, respectful, and highly communicative relationships.
- Partner with Senior Leadership to instill a culture of performance and accountability.
- Conduct trainings for the management team, helping them to be better managers and ensuring they are well-informed and empowered to talk to their teams about basic employee relations/benefits issues.
- Collaborate with the Development team to support Spectrum’s grant writing and development efforts with data and narratives.
Talent Acquisition & Development
- Develop a talent acquisition strategy to attract and retain talent in an extremely competitive market; lead efforts to brand Spectrum as an employer of choice.
- Refresh the hiring process to ensure both consistency and effectiveness, including standardized position descriptions, interview training for managers, and a standardized onboarding process.
- Introduce new and/or improved methodologies for attracting, assessing, selecting, rewarding, and developing a strong and diverse workforce of staff and volunteers.
- Develop and manage a performance evaluation strategy that works across all our programs and departments, ensuring consistency and effectiveness.
- Create and implement staff training programs and improve employee career pathways within the organization.
- Provide ongoing coaching and mentoring to the staff so they may continue to grow and develop their capabilities.
Culture & Communications
- Instill emotional intelligence and mindfulness into our HR operations.
- Increase HR’s profile, playing a more active role in all areas of the organization; boost connectivity between staff across all program sites and departments; work to eliminate silos.
- Serve as the “voice” of the staff at the senior management level, advocating for programs and driving solutions that align with our goals.
- Drive employee and volunteer engagement through the refinement, maintenance, and ongoing evolution of Spectrum’s culture.
- Implement and manage an employee recognition program.
- Champion employee wellness by reinforcing a culture of work-life balance and ensuring staff are practicing an appropriate amount of self-care to avoid burnout.
- Prior people and culture experience working within the nonprofit sector, preferably within a direct service organization.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously, with exceptional attention to detail; initiative-taking; motivated, with a positive personality and excellent follow-through.
- Proven ability to solve complex problems and to effectively inspire and motivate staff.
- Hands-on experience building and maintaining positive and inclusive workplace cultures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail, and interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, employees, clients, and the public.
- Exceptionally high level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
COVID-19 and Influenza Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccination/up-to-date boosters and annual influenza are required for all staff. Accommodations for religious, medical, and personal exemptions.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Tia Anzellotti, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101