Director, Marketing and Communications
Founded in 2015, Alzheimer’s San Diego serves people impacted by dementia, fighting the stigmas, and supporting research. Alzheimer’s can feel like an impossible disease. But at Alzheimer’s San Diego, we know that people can still live well after a diagnosis. We recognize the dignity of every person living with dementia and empower them to play an active role in planning their future care. We see the heartache this disease inflicts on caregivers, and we are here to give them the support and knowledge they need to become strong care partners – and to find joy in even the darkest moments. With a $3.1M annual budget, 24 employees, and almost 9,000 volunteer hours annually, we proudly serve over 25,000 people each year, offering all programs and services free of charge. Our team is working diligently to make Alzheimer’s a disease of the past, by connecting people to clinical trials and funding research for a cure.
Leadership & Culture
Alzheimer’s San Diego is led by an exceptional leadership team, dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusivity, transparency, and growth. Our focus is to allow our team members to be the experts in their role, where they are supported yet have the autonomy to do their very best work. CEO, Eugenia Welch, offers over 24 years of executive leadership experience and has led the organization since 2018. Serving people living with dementia has been her lifelong passion, which started when she was 16. Eugenia’s passion and experience have taken the organization to new heights, expanding programs, building partnerships, and diversifying revenue while ensuring that 100% of every dollar raised remains in San Diego County. The Director, Marketing and Communications will report to the VP of Development, Michelle Van Hoff, a 6-year veteran of the organization, and will join a team of 23 dynamic professionals working collaboratively to shape the organization and support the Alzheimer’s community in San Diego.
Benefits & Features
- Salary: $75,000 – $90,000
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, AD&D, and long-term care
- Professional development opportunities
- 403(b) retirement plan
- 18 paid days off
- 13 paid holidays
The location of this role is hybrid with an office at 3635 Ruffin Road, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92123. This role is required to be on-site 2-3 days per week.
The Director, Marketing and Communications will have the primary responsibility for Alzheimer’s San Diego’s entire marketing and communications plan. The Director will be the in-house expert in graphic design, events management, advertising, direct mail, and digital communications, overseeing the production of collateral material, website development, and social media marketing. They will develop innovative and creative strategies to prominently position the organization throughout San Diego County. Reporting to the VP of Development, and supervising the Marketing Specialist, this is a highly collaborative role, working with the CEO, board of directors, staff, and clients to enhance the visibility and awareness of Alzheimer’s San Diego. It is essential therefore that they work effectively as a member of the team, and have superb people skills – an empathetic, charismatic leader with exceptional communication and relationship-building abilities. This role is a tremendous opportunity for someone who is a compassionate and empathetic storyteller. They will have the latitude to be innovative, creating and implementing their vision with the full support of the organization.
Priorities in the first year:
- Develop an understanding of dementia and the organization’s approach to its work. Observe and participate in programs and classes.
- Develop and implement a strategic and comprehensive marketing and communications plan.
- Coach and mentor the team to ensure adherence and understanding of branding guidelines.
- Cultivate strong relationships with vendors, staff, and local media.
- Establish knowledge of and connections with local stakeholders.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and implementation of Alzheimer’s San Diego’s marketing and branding strategies and tactics with a focus on revenue growth and diversification.
- Create and implement a comprehensive marketing plan and communications calendar with defined objectives and key performance indicators.
- Lead and manage a skilled Marketing Specialist while fostering a highly inclusive and collaborative culture. Coach and mentor individuals to help them reach their full potential.
- Assist with the creation and dissemination of all standing communication mechanisms to donors and clients, including print and e-newsletters, special event invitations, and other strategic communication tools.
- Partner with the development and programs teams to enhance the client and donor experience at every touchpoint.
- Partner with the Grants & Advocacy Manager to create promotional plans and reports for awarded grants.
- Manage all aspects of the Alzheimer’s San Diego website, event websites, and social media platforms, including content creation, data analysis, and updates.
- Spearhead PR efforts, including building and maintaining relationships with local media contacts; identifying stories; drafting press materials and distributing them to the local media; securing event coverage; coordinating media appearances.
- Prepare members of the executive team and board of directors for interviews and public appearances; create, edit, and approve talking points for all major interviews.
- Lead the design and content creation for all events and collateral needs, including blogs, invitations, flyers, scripts, annual reports, etc., and work with the outside designer on special projects.
- Design and coordinate advertising contracts for print, television, digital, and radio.
- Conceptualize, produce, and edit event videos, program videos, etc.
- Provide regular updates to both the CEO and the board of directors.
- Supervise interns, volunteers, and staff in the execution of duties and activities to support the accomplishment of strategic priorities.
- Demonstrated basic understanding of design programs, including Adobe InDesign.
- Demonstrated experience with website design and maintenance.
- Excellent business acumen: able to devote attention to both short-term and long-term objectives, effectively manage multiple priorities simultaneously and with a keen eye for detail; excellent follow-through and meets deadlines.
- Excellent verbal, written, and people skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Prior nonprofit and fundraising experience is desirable.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
For employees to work in the office, they must be fully vaccinated.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Tia Anzellotti, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101