Salary: $100,000 – $120,000 DOE/neg. Estimated start date: January 2018
Reports to: Board of Directors Location: San Diego (Mission Valley)
Direct reports: 3
WHO WE ARE:
Our brand, zero8hundred, refers to a new day, and new community-based approach to military transition services. We assist San Diego’s military service members and their families through one of the most challenging periods of their lives: the transition from military to civilian life. zero8hundred delivers direct case management services through a unique relationship with the Armed Forces that allows interaction and engagement with service members and spouses before, during, and after transition. Peer Navigators provide this support to individuals through telephone/email and in-person meetings to assist with the transition from military to civilian life. Areas of support include education and employment, mental and physical health, basic needs and personal connections. zero8hundred provides ongoing case management while referring clients to trusted service providers and opportunities in these critical areas.
Since our launch in 2015, zero8hundred has provided case management to over 2,200 participants, and has been implemented in San Diego and Orange Counties. Our program will continue to grow as part of a “zero8hundred 2.0” initiative to serve transitioning families in Riverside and Imperial Counties, plus Army, Air Force, Reserve and National Guard members in the four counties served. Fiscally sponsored by Mission Edge San Diego (missionedge.org), our team of 17 staff is 100% focused on programs and service delivery, with Mission Edge managing our back office/administrative functions. Please visit us at zero8hundred.org for more information.
This is an extremely exciting time to join zero8hundred, and take this groundbreaking organization into its next chapter. The Executive Director oversees all aspects of the organization, including strategic planning, outreach, operations, budgeting, administration, and logistics. He/she will oversee all fundraising efforts to ensure we reach our 2018 goal of $750,000 – $1 million. This position works closely with our partner organizations which include: the US military, government agencies, elected officials, nonprofits, businesses, and philanthropic institutions. The Executive Director will need first-hand knowledge of the military transition experience and active relationships with the local military community at a senior level. As such, prior military experience (or experience as a military family member) is strongly desirable. The Executive Director will supervise a team that includes (at a minimum) the Lead Navigator, 5 Peer Navigators, 10 intern Peer Navigators, and an Operations and Development Manager. The position requires a background check and does not include relocation.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
External Outreach, Collaboration and Fundraising (60%)
• Serve as the public face of zero8hundred to the community and media. Drive awareness of the program and service model across the region and nationally.
• Lead fundraising efforts to ensure we hit our 2018 goal of $750,000 – $1 million through grants, private/community donors, corporate sponsorships, government funding and other sources.
• Diversify our funding streams, with a particular emphasis on growing our base of individual donors.
• Prepare or edit grant applications and periodic grant reports.
• Conduct outreach to military branches and commands. Develop and renew memorandums of understanding (MOUs) with partners.
• Cultivate, develop and maintain effective working relationships with partner organizations.
• Organize and facilitate Advisory Board and Executive Committee meetings.
• Work with the third-party evaluator to shape performance metrics to track and evaluate service outcomes, impact and effectiveness.
• Submit quarterly reports to the Advisory Board, funders, partners and the community.
Program Leadership and Management (40%)
• Continue to grow and scale the organization in a fiscally responsible manner.
• Direct all program operations including implementation of “zero8hundred 2.0”.
• Keep Advisory Board and Executive Committee informed of significant developments.
• Foster positive, collegial work environment. Manage the zero8hundred staff and contractors.
• Assist the staff with day-to-day operations and logistics. This is a position that requires a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and do whatever is needed to get the job done.
• Manage wide variety of daily program administration details in close partnership with Mission Edge San Diego (MESD), the non-profit fiscal sponsor agency.
• Track and manage monthly and annual budget and expenditures.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Knowledge and Experience
• Prior military service (or as military spouse/dependent) strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated fundraising and/or business development experience.
• Possesses an existing network of San Diego military, government, business, funders and nonprofit relationships.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
Leadership and Communication
• Demonstrated commitment and passion for veterans/military-related support initiatives.
• Proven experience building high performance teams (hiring, training, managing).
• Experience representing organizations in the media and at a wide variety of public venues.
• Superior organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Proven experience at implementing an organizational strategy while building strong collaborations with other agencies.
Strategy and Operations
• Ability to see the big picture and build on previous successes while exploring possibilities.
• Vision to see what is necessary to scale a program in accordance with a strategic plan.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and execute defined goals and objectives.
• Exceptional problem-solving skills, with a results-oriented focus.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY:
Trevor Blair, Principal
Blair Search Partners
550 West B Street, 4th floor, San Diego, CA 92101