Compensation: $42,000 – $52,000 DOE/neg.
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports to: Executive Director
zero8hundred refers to a new day, and a new community-based approach to coordinating military transition services. Our objective is to support San Diego’s military service members and their families through one of the most challenging periods of their lives: the transition from military to civilian life.
Since our launch in January 2015, zero8hundred has partnered with the Armed Forces to provide free, one-on-one direct case management for service members and their spouses (from 9 months preseparation until 12 months post-service). With lived military experience themselves, zero8hundred’s resource counselors are committed to supporting transitioning service members and their families through this challenging time. Our highly trained counselors help program participants design and execute their most successful post-service journey and have aided over 4,200 transitioning service members and their spouses to date. As part of our ongoing case management, we refer our clients to trusted service providers and opportunities which address numerous critical areas. These include employment, education, health and wellness, basic needs, and social/community connections – all part of a holistic veteran’s wellness model.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.zero8hundred.org
The HR and Administrative Manager is a newly created role, designed to ensure our workforce and internal structure is in optimal shape to best meet the needs of our clients. They will manage the organization’s overall human resources, payroll and general administrative functions, in addition to providing critical day-to-day assistance to the CEO. This role’s primary focus is to provide end-to-end human resources support, with responsibilities including administering HR policies and procedures, benefits, hiring, orientation, training and exit plans. The HR and Administrative Manager will often serve as the right-hand person to the CEO and the go-to resource for employees regarding personnel matters. In addition, they will frequently interface with our contract CFO, Programs Director, board members, vendors and service providers.
Primary responsibilities and focus allocations for this position are:
- Human Resources – 60%
- General Administration – 30%
- Support to the CEO – 10%
Initial Priorities for this position include:
- Review all HR components are in line with federal, state, and local policies; establish standard operating procedures.
- Conduct one-to-one meetings with each staff member to build an understanding of the roles and needs of each individual.
- Oversee all HR functions throughout the organization, carrying out the day-to-day tasks and working collaboratively with the CEO on strategic HR matters.
- Payroll functions.
- Accounts receivable/payable functions.
- Report to the board of directors in meetings on operational matters.
Priorities for Year 2 and beyond:
- Assist with scaling organizational infrastructure and business processes.
- Prime the organization for expansion to other markets in the United States, by researching and resolving potential operational issues and obstacles.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create, maintain and revise the organization’s handbook on HR policies and procedures.
- Manage the collection, maintenance, and communication of HR records.
- Identify and comply with HR-related legal requirements and government reporting regulations.
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding HR policies, procedures, and programs.
- Oversee recruitment efforts, including writing and posting job descriptions, and conduct new employee orientations.
- Administer employee benefits programs and ensure all team members have up-to-date benefits information.
- Process bi-weekly payroll and prepare payroll related reports.
- Plan and conduct payroll training to meet organizational and regulatory requirements.
- Conduct weekly review of hourly staff automated timecards for accuracy and legal compliance; consult CEO/Programs Director for approval on time keeping and work rostering as needed.
- Review PTO requests and coordinate with leadership team for approvals.
- Coordinate HR training to meet organizational and regulatory requirements, i.e., terminations, performance review, safety, and sexual harassment.
- • Administer performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the organization.
- Conduct annual wage and salary reports to determine competitive compensation.
- Review and update all employee job descriptions annually.
- Prepare employee separation notices and related documentation, and conduct exit interviews.
- Investigate any HR-related accidents and prepare reports for insurance carrier.
- Research and resolve potential HR and operational issues related to scaling of the organization to other cities.
- Coordinate internal and external meetings, including scheduling, reserving space, editing and distributing agendas, AV equipment, refreshments, and post-event communication.
- Support special events including Resource Fairs, Veterans Day Week and Charity Golf Tournament.
- Manage all accounts receivable/payable through Quickbooks. Collect expense and mileage reports for all staff, process invoices and maintain accurate reports of expenditures and payments under the supervision of the organization’s contract CFO.
- Work closely with the Programs Director to ensure data management and reporting requirements are continuously met.
- Manage contractor and vendor agreements.
- Manage office equipment and procure supplies and IT support from approved vendors.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail.
Support to the CEO
- Serve as a trusted assistant and confidante to the CEO.
- Organize and attend board meetings and take minutes. Prepare meeting minutes for weekly staff, monthly board of directors and quarterly community advisory meetings.
- Greet office appointments and maintain materials for distribution.
- Scan the market and keep the CEO informed of upcoming events and speaking engagements.
- Use Salesforce to maintain accurate information regarding the CEO’s contacts and connections.
- Report on HR and administrative matters at staff meetings.
Attributes and Work Style
- Committed and passionate about the mission of zero8hundred, which is to improve the lives of our transitioning military service members and their families.
- A resilient, determined individual who demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrates sound decision-making skills and good judgement; behaves with integrity in all situations.
- Self-motivated, with a demonstrated ability to work independently, set priorities, and follow through.
- Fosters a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment.
- Resourceful, with a willingness to work as part of a collaborative team and assist colleagues with a variety of tasks across the organization.
- Possesses an upbeat and enthusiastic (yet professional) attitude, even under pressure.
- Direct and respectful communication style.
- Superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Shows initiative in suggesting ideas for improving processes and procedures.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multitasking skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate professionally with senior management, staff, program participants and donors.
- Maintains complete confidentiality regarding any issues related to human resources, payroll, client information and the board of directors.
Required Experience, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred with concentration in Business Administration, Finance, or Organizational Management preferred.
- PHR qualification preferred.
- Strong knowledge of California HR requirements including benefits, insurance coverage, hiring practices and talent development (multistate HR experience preferred).
- Experience as an Administrative Manager or in a related field preferred.
- Experience working directly with senior leadership and a board of directors preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required (primarily Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) with proficiency in QuickBooks and SalesForce preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, current car insurance and reliable transportation required.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY, PLEASE CONTACT:
Diana Grant-Davie, Operations Manager
550 West B Street, Fourth Floor
San Diego, CA 92101