Balboa Park is the crown jewel of San Diego. A National Historic Landmark since 1977, the park spans 1,200 acres, with more than 60 miles of trails, 20 gardens, and home to 29 major arts and culture organizations. The park also hosts an array of multicultural events throughout the year, attracting more than 4 million visitors annually. In 2021, two prominent Balboa Park nonprofit organizations, Friends of Balboa Park, and the Balboa Park Conservancy merged to form Forever Balboa Park. Building on the legacy and foundation of its predecessors, Forever Balboa Park works in partnership with the City of San Diego and other organizations to ensure the sustainability and accessibility of Balboa Park, through fundraising, facilities and infrastructure improvements, a visitor center, the Balboa Park Carousel volunteer programs and public engagement programs across the park. Through the collaborative efforts of staff, community partners, and more than 340 volunteers, Forever Balboa Park is making significant progress toward fulfilling its vision of ensuring that Balboa Park is a sustainable, world-class destination, where all who visit are welcomed, inspired, engaged, and enriched. For more information, please visit: https://foreverbalboapark.org/
Leadership & Culture
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Vice President of Facilities and Operations will report to President & CEO, Elizabeth C. Babcock, Ph.D., who joined the organization in April 2022 as the Forever Balboa Park’s first CEO. A passionate, inclusive, and transparent leader, Elizabeth is an experienced museum executive, user experience researcher and designer, educator, and anthropologist. Elizabeth has received several awards, including the 2022 Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring for the California Academy of Science’s Career in Science internship program, and was recognized in 2013 as a White House Champion of Change by the Obama Administration and the Institute of Museum and Library Services. The new VP will join a team of 33 exceptionally talented staff working collaboratively to achieve organizational success. Our culture is based on a shared commitment to and passion for preserving and enhancing this amazing cultural asset for all generations and the diverse communities of the region. This includes a strong dedication to open communication supporting the growth and development of each individual team member.
Benefits & Features
- Salary – $95,000 – $110,000
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term disability and life insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with a 5% employer match
- 15vacation days
- 12.5 paid holidays
Forever Balboa Park is based inthe House of Hospitality, a historic building within the park, located at 1549 El Prado, Suite 1, San Diego, CA 92101. This role primarily needs to be on-site with availability for on call for emergencies and occasional weekend and evening events. During capital improvement projects, early morning hours may be necessary.
The Vice President of Facilities and Operations is a newly created position strategically positioned to play an important role in the organization’s growth and evolution. Reporting to the President and CEO, the VP will lead a dynamic team, supervising the Director of Visitor Experience, the Carousel Manager, the Maintenance Lead, and the custodial and security staff, as well as numerous contractors. As a member of the senior leadership team, this is a high-profile role, working in partnership with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders in the park and the business community. The VP will oversee day-to-day operations and maintenance of the organization’s three main facilities, which generate critical earned revenue for Forever Balboa Park:
- House of Hospitality, completely reconstructed in 1997 this building contains a restaurant, visitor center, public restrooms, public courtyard, Forever Balboa Park’s offices, and several tenants.
- The Balboa Park Visitors Center, which houses an information desk and gift store, operated by staff and volunteers, seven days a week.
- Balboa Park Carousel, a historic San Diego cultural asset, enjoyed by families on weekends and holidays during the school year, and every day during the summer.
In addition to ensuring that the organization’s three facilities are maintained and operated efficiently, the new VP will provide thought leadership for the team in maximizing revenues from each business unit through consolidation of operational processes, cross training teams, and building business model synergies across the organization. This role offers an excellent opportunity for an innovative and experienced facilities professional with exceptional people skills, an entrepreneurial mindset, and a collaborative and inclusive management style.
Duties and Responsibilities
Facilities & Operations:
- Provide depth of knowledge in engineering best practices for facilities including HVAC, building automation systems, life safety and systems, security systems, lighting fixtures and controls, plumbing, as well as tenant improvement projects.
- Ensure all maintenance and repair needs are fully met, including ordering supplies and parts, and managing the workshop. Complete and sustain an inventory of building systems and implement facilities regularly, maintenance, upgrades, and repairs.
- Conduct RFQs and bid proposals, procure project equipment and materials, and schedule work. Manage construction and fabrication/installation contracts. Collaborate closely with project stakeholders and clients to ensure that work planned and completed meets the organization’s and tenants’ needs and budgets.
- Manage capital projects up to $500,000, including an upcoming 2023 chiller replacement project, and a fire panel installation project.
- Manage custodial and maintenance operations for the House of Hospitality, including coordination of services, prioritization, and scheduling of routine and unplanned maintenance.
- Supervise the Director of Visitor Experience and provide oversight of Visitor Center operations and revenue strategy, with a focus on improving operational efficiencies.
- Supervise and support the Carousel manager and staff, including oversight of maintenance and repair services to the Carousel; assist the team in achieving revenue targets.
- Partner with the Projects team to ensure the planned 2022-2023 restoration of the Carousel proceeds with minimal disruption to planned budgets and revenues.
- Review and strengthen operational procedures, including opening and closing procedures, tenant coordination and work order process, and event-related facilities support and logistics.
- Follow all Forever Balboa Park safety regulations. Maintain compliance with all city, state, and federal enforcement agencies associated with facility operations.
- Be a visible presence and available resource for tenants, visitors, and staff, providing responsive assistance when needed.
- Consult with FBP advisors about historic building maintenance and repairs, as needed.
- Ensure parkwide issues and updates are communicated effectively.
Management & Administration:
- Develop and adhere to appropriate operational budgets and revenue goals for Building Operations, Visitors Center, and the Carousel.
- Establish quantitative and qualitative metrics by which our operational effectiveness can be evaluated; identify opportunities for improvement.
- Grow staff leadership in each functional area, equipping team members with skills needed to ensure adequate staffing levels and backup, and professional growth.
- Partner with the Finance department on financial targets, processes and operations.
- Train our building tenants and staff on safety procedures, communicating regular updates.
- Coordinate with the Balboa Park Ranger team, San Diego Police Department, and partners at nearby cultural institutions to ensure our spaces are safe and secure for visitors and employees.
- Entrepreneurial and operations-focused mindset, with a focus on identifying and realizing efficiencies, as well as opportunities for increased earned revenues.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience in facility and building management and operations, with a strategic and hands-on approach to problem-solving.
- Building systems management experience including controls, fire alarm, automation, HVAC, and security; knowledge of building products, construction details, and relevant rules, regulations, and quality standards, including CAL/OSHA regulations.
- Demonstrated expertise in capital project planning, budgeting, and implementation for a commercial facility.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral; comfortable communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the board, and outside stakeholders/partners.
- Superb people skills, including the ability to connect with and inspire a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to manage multiple projects/priorities while maintaining vigilant attention to detail.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Forever Balboa Park has a mandatory vaccine policy and requires proof of vaccination. If you are not already vaccinated, you will be required to become fully vaccinated or apply for an exemption.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Tia Anzellotti, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Ave., Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101