Compensation: $96,831 – 137,681 DOE/neg.
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent/Vice President, Human Resources
Direct Reports: 8 (department chart listed below)
Who We Are:
Southwestern Community College District (SWCCD) is the only public institution of higher education in southern San Diego County. As a single-college district serving Chula Vista, San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, National City and Coronado, SWCCD provides a wide range of dynamic, high-quality academic programs and comprehensive student services to a diverse community of students. The District provides educational opportunities in the following areas: associate degree and certificate programs, transfer, professional, technical, and career advancement, basic skills, personal enrichment and continuing education. In addition, the College District advances the local region through its educational, economic and workforce opportunities, community partnerships and services.
SWCCD currently enrolls approximately 26,000 students annually, predominantly from diverse communities. The college has approximately 1,300 employees spread across 5 campus locations in the South Bay area of San Diego. To learn more about Southwestern Community College District, please visit us: https://www.swccd.edu/
The Director of Human Resources plays a critical leadership role in the Human Resource department’s overall activities and operations. Reporting directly to the Assistant Superintendent/Vice President for Human Resources, the Director will assist with the implementation of the Human Resources department’s new strategic plan, in addition to managing various departmental functions directly. This individual will work collaboratively with various departments and stakeholders across the District, streamlining processes and implementing operational efficiencies. They will serve as a District-wide, goto resource concerning all HR-related issues. Managing a team of 8 direct reports, the Director of Human Resources ensures the Human Resources Office provides accurate, timely, and caring responses to the college staff and community.
Strategic priorities for Director of Human Resources include:
- Help to position the HR department as a trusted advisor and partner to all SWCCD departments
- Evaluate and improve HR business processes and operations
- Re-engineer campus hiring practices, with a focus on diversity and inclusion
- Leverage best practices to improve HR business processes and workflows
- Develop the organization’s capacity to mentor, coach, manage and develop staff
Attributes & Work Style:
- Passionate: Driven by SWCCD’s purpose, which is to improve the lives of our students.
- Equitable & Inclusive: Proven commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Community-minded: Track record of working collaboratively with diverse stakeholder groups.
- Responsible: Demonstrates integrity and strives for excellence in their work. Promotes a culture of accountability and credibility.
- Team Player: A servant-leader who fosters a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment.
- Growth Mindset: Views challenges as learning opportunities.
- Innovative: Engages in continuous improvement, with an intuition for identifying ways to improve any and all aspects of our work.
- Planning and Process Management: Operates effectively at both the strategic and tactical levels, with excellent organizational, time management, multi-tasking, and planning capabilities.
- Reflective: Skilled at receiving and giving feedback and performance critiques.
- Communicative: Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills. Impressive diplomacy skills and savvy at negotiations.
- Sociable: Charismatic, warm and welcoming; a true “people-person” who enjoys interacting with people throughout the community.
- Meticulous: Superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Self-Starter: Demonstrates a strong personal initiative and sound decision-making skills.
Required Skills, Experience & Education:
- 5 years of increasingly responsible professional public personnel or related experience including three years of leadership, supervisory, or management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, public administration, or a related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity, to and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and working environment.
- Ability/experience in constructing, articulating and implementing a strategic HR plan.
- Impressive management skills with experience in coaching and mentoring staff at all levels. o Excellent communication skills, using both written and oral skills to influence and engage constituents.
- Proficient with technology and adept at switching to/integrating new systems and platforms. o Demonstrated experience with risk mitigation.
- Collective bargaining/union relations experience helpful.
- Knowledge of State and Federal Employment Laws required.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY, PLEASE CONTACT:
Liliane Lendvai, Director
Blair Search Partners
Full Position Description Available At: https://www.swccd.edu/administration/human-resources/jobdescriptions/_files/jobdescription_director_human_resources.pdf