Senior Grant Writer
Jewish Family Service of San Diego (JFS) is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient San Diego. Founded in 1918, we are one of San Diego’s most impactful non-profit human services agencies. Last year, we served more than 39,500 clients, including over 17,000 asylum seekers at the JFS Migrant Family Shelter. Our broad network of staff, volunteers, supporters, and community partners are committed to the pursuit of one shared goal: helping individuals and families in San Diego move forward.
JFS welcomes people of all backgrounds, assisting them to build stable and dignified lives. Together, we can create a stronger, healthier community where everyone can thrive. Our services empower individuals and families to move toward self-sufficiency, support aging with dignity, and foster community connection and engagement throughout San Diego County, Orange County, and the Coachella Valley. Today, JFS is stronger than ever, with over 430 team members, supported by nearly 1,500 volunteers annually. This enables us to provide an incredibly comprehensive range of services, from food assistance and transportation to counseling and career coaching – nearly 30 different programs in all.
Leadership & Culture
JFS is led by an exceptional executive team, dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusivity, learning, and growth. Our focus is to create a highly supportive environment where team members can do their very best work. This position reports to our Sr. Director of Development, Institutional Giving, Ben Coyle. As an integral member of our dynamic Institutional Giving Team, the Sr. Grant Writer will join an engaged and energized team of 36 professionals working collaboratively to raise $70M annually to provide life-changing services to community members in need.
Benefits & Features
- Salary: $73,000 – $94,000
- Comprehensive, low-cost healthcare coverage for employees
- Generous 401(k) contributions
- Life insurance
- Generous paid time off and sick leave
- COVID-19 sick pay for employees unable to work due to quarantine or isolation
- 12 paid holidays
- 3 paid floating holidays
- 2 paid wellness days
- 4:00 pm close time every Friday
The location of this role is hybrid, with an office located at 8804 Balboa Ave., San Diego, CA 92123.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Development, Institutional Giving the Sr. Grant Writer is an integral member of Jewish Family Service of San Diego’s talented Institutional Giving Team. As the lead grant writer, this position is responsible for successfully securing government, corporate, and foundation funding to support JFS’s mission and programs and for shaping the fundraising strategy. They will lead the complete grant process, from identifying and researching grant opportunities to managing, preparing, and submitting proposals. It is an exciting time to join JFS as we are growing rapidly and eager to add the skills and expertise of a Sr. Grant Writer to our team. This role is a tremendous opportunity for a dynamic grant writer to play a strategic leadership role in diversifying and growing our grant funding for large-scale impact.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with cross-functional grant submission teams – comprised of program, community impact, and accounting staff – to submit grant proposals and reports.
- Research, organize, write, and review government, private, and corporate foundation grant documents, including proposals, bid applications, letters of intent, etc.
- Serve as the project management lead for assigned grant proposals; monitor progress and prepare follow-up reports, as required by grantors.
- Supports the Sr. Director of Development, Institutional Giving in building strong collaborations with JFS program directors and staff.
- Supports the Sr. Director of Development, Institutional Giving in building and maintaining relationships with funders, including but not limited to, government, non-profits, corporations, community, and individuals.
- Oversee accurate and timely maintenance of grants management data; ensure that grant files are accurate and well maintained, including the ongoing update of all grant needs, schedules for re-application, and reporting.
- Responsible for continuously improving and streamlining the grants management process, exploring, and identifying tools, sources, and best practices to incorporate.
- Attend and participate in appropriate internal and external meetings with staff and funders.
- Demonstrated success in securing private, corporate, and multi-year government grants.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills; ability to convey complex information in a clear manner and through analytical and persuasive writing; superior editing skills.
- Outstanding ability to prioritize and manage a high volume of requests and projects with competing deadlines while maintaining keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledgeable of applicable laws, regulations, rules, and best practices in fundraising and philanthropy.
- Proficient in Raisers Edge/NXT and/or a related database for tracking grant proposals and donor communication.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with funders.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Jewish Family Service of San Diego has a duty to provide and maintain a workplace that safeguards the health of our employees and their families, our guests, our volunteers, and the community from the COVID-19 virus. To help prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, JFS requires that all its employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We make accommodations for eligible medical and religious exemptions, which can be discussed upon hire.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Sarah Thompson, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101