WHO WE ARE
Established in 1924, California Western School of Law (CWSL) is San Diego’s oldest law school. Our mission is to train ethical, competent, and compassionate lawyers, representative of our diverse society, who can use the law effectively and creatively. Of the 217 students in our JD class of 2022, 59% were women, 49% identified as a race or ethnicity other than Caucasian, 15% identified as LGBTQIA+, and 37% were first-generation college students.
CWSL is also among the top three law schools in the U.S. for required experiential learning credits. We offer an array of exceptional experiential courses providing students with an opportunity to apply their intellect and education to some of the most challenging issues facing society, representing clients in criminal, immigration, trademark, legal aid, and internet law. This includes two of our premier programs, the Community Law Project, and New Media Rights. The Community Law Project provides legal advice to low-income and indigent members of the local community while developing a commitment to public service in the students who work within the clinics. New Media Rights provides direct legal services to creators, entrepreneurs, journalists, and internet users whose projects require specialized internet, intellectual property, privacy, and media law expertise. Students work closely with program staff and clients to analyze policies related to online content creation and help create informational videos, prepare policy briefs, and contribute to the program’s work with the FCC and other agencies.
By contributing to legal scholarships, participating in public deliberations about legal matters, and serving as a community legal education resource, CWSL is making significant, measurable contributions toward solving major problems in our community, our society, and our world. This is demonstrated through the achievements of our students, alumni, and faculty, which include:
- More than 220 members of the judiciary in California and elsewhere.
- Leaders in government, education, and business, including the California State Assembly, Clark County (Nev.) District Attorney, and more.
- Successful client advocates in the private and public sectors.
- Student writing cited by the U.S. Supreme Court and published by national law journals.
- Faculty are leaders of national and international legal organizations.
- Faculty are internationally recognized experts in areas including international law, gender and the law, and legal ethics.
For more information, please visit: www.cwsl.edu
LEADERSHIP & CULTURE
Our leadership team is dedicated to fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, and growth. Sean M. Scott joined the California Western School of Law as Dean and President in 2020. Since taking the helm, Dean Scott has charted a new strategic vision in collaboration with faculty, staff, students, the Board of Trustees, and extended stakeholders. The result is a modernized institution with a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. This includes initiatives to diversify the profession, create an intellectual hub where critical conversations about justice occur, and bring to the forefront the experiences of those who have been marginalized. Dean Scott has also diversified the school’s leadership and policies, hiring CWSL’s first Chief Diversity Officer and guiding the adoption of a new unitary tenure track policy that ensures equitable pathways for all full-time faculty. Other developments during Dean Scott’s tenure include restructuring CWSL’s Skills Training for Ethical Practice and Professional Satisfaction (STEPPS) program, improving admissions applications and student quality through new digital strategies, and increasing the number of faculty publications within top legal journals.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary – $130,000 – $175,000
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 403(b) with an 8% employer contribution
- Life, AD&D and LTD insurance
- Flexible spending plan
- Accrued paid time off (starting at 10 accrued days each year), 10 paid sick days, paid winter break, and 10 paid holidays
- Summer alternative work schedule
- Wellness program
This is a hybrid role with an office at California Western School of Law, located at 350 Cedar Street, San Diego, CA 92101. CWSL staff are required to be on-site four days a week.
Reporting directly to Dean Scott, the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications (Senior Director) will lead the development, execution, and evaluation of a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that advances the mission and strategic priorities of CWSL. The Senior Director will serve as another public face of CWSL, attending events, speaking, and building relationships with key stakeholders. This is a highly collaborative role, working closely with the Dean, faculty, and senior leadership team to enhance CWSL’s academic reputation, visibility, and brand across a variety of digital and traditional marketing channels. The Senior Director will develop and implement innovative marketing strategies, enhance digital communications, and lead and mentor two direct reports, the Marketing Coordinator and Writer. This is an excellent opportunity to support our work in training the next generation of compassionate lawyers who reflect our diverse society, and who are empowered to work within the legal system to achieve a positive impact.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee and direct all phases of the design, production, and distribution of marketing assets and content; develop donor and fundraising materials, in partnership with the Philanthropy and Alumni Engagement Office.
- Organize communications and marketing for all events including faculty events, institutional events, staff events, select student events, and conferences from creation to completion.
- Develop, direct, and execute advertising and visibility campaigns; work collaboratively with the Admissions team to ensure strong recruitment campaigns that convey a consistent message.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive executive communication plan; manage all crisis communications.
- Conceive, coordinate, and implement media relationships and strategies that advance CWSL’s mission.
- Oversee the maintenance of a clear, compelling, and user-friendly website.
- Develop and execute content for all social media channels, which include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, and others.
- Manage vendors, staff, budgets, and reports for all assigned projects.
- Coach, mentor, develop, and manage two direct reports, ensuring they are supported and encouraged to achieve performance and developmental goals.
- Demonstrated experience implementing successful marketing, communications, and public/media relations strategies, while effectively leading, coaching, and mentoring a team.
- Experience working in a higher education or legal setting is helpful, but not required.
- Strong understanding and awareness of industry trends, including social media, web strategies, print, and design mediums.
- Proven ability to interpret and execute designs in a timely manner, including understanding layout aesthetics and communicating effectively with internal and external teams.
- Demonstrated success in managing vendors across the full technology stack, including CMS, web platforms, CRM, and marketing automation; expertise in managing advertising agencies and analytics tools, including Google Analytics and DOMO.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, written, and oral, including a personal presence that is effective and inspirational across a variety of settings and stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively multitask, with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy; can handle a variety of matters independently, with minimal supervision, in a professional, organized, polished, and mature manner with tact, diplomacy, and appropriate judgment.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
California Western School of Law requires all employees and students coming to campus to be fully vaccinated or have received an exemption.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY, PLEASE CONTACT:
Sarah Thompson, Senior Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 1st Ave., Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101