Reports to: Director of Special Events
Location: San Diego
Compensation: $55,000 – $70,000
WHO WE ARE:
Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is a 551-bed pediatric care facility providing the largest source of comprehensive pediatric medical services in San Diego, Riverside and Imperial counties. We are the only hospital in the San Diego area dedicated exclusively to pediatric healthcare, and are the region’s only designated pediatric trauma center. In June 2016, U.S. News & World Report ranked us among the best children’s hospitals in the nation in all nine pediatric specialties. Rady Children’s is a nonprofit organization that relies on donations to support its mission. For more information, visit www.rchsd.org. This position is part of the RCHSD’s Foundation team, a separate 501c3 entity that exists to support the Hospital and its operations. Of note, the Foundation’s 2017 Annual Employee Survey, conducted through The Advisory Board Company, scored a 97% employee engagement rating.
The Events Officer is responsible for the planning and execution of numerous high-quality events, meetings and special visits throughout the year, in support of Foundation and Hospital fundraising and engagement goals. Working closely with the rest of the events team, the Events Officer will help produce up to 2 large annual events (up to 1,000 guests each) and approximately 4 smaller engagements each month. This position serves as the right-hand team member to Director, and is an integral member of the Foundation’s Marketing and Donor Communications department, a team of 12 professions whose expertise spans event management, content creation, donor stewardship, direct marketing, design and digital communications. This position will work closely with the: Director of Donor Stewardship, Senior Director of Marketing and Donor Communications, and other Events Officers. In addition, the Events Officer also will have the opportunity to work with the executive teams of both the Foundation and Hospital, as part of the planning process for major events.
The position’s ultimate focus is to ensure that events embody and elevate the Rady Children’s brand and vision. This includes:
• Providing advice and support to the Special Events Director, Marketing and Donor Communications Director, Foundation Executive Director and Hospital leadership.
• Collaborating within the Special Events team and Marketing & Donor Communications department.
• Providing excellent customer service to board members, prospects, donors, colleagues, clinical partners, volunteers, Foundation and Hospital leadership.
• Sourcing and managing vendors for all facets of event production including caterers, florists, and photographers.
• Managing event budgets and expenses.
• Troubleshooting and resolving logistical problems during the planning and execution process.
• Coordinating the contract review process and working with accounting to process expenses
• Working closely with the Foundation’s stewardship and communications staff to manage workflow and to collaborate as required.
This position requires frequent attendance at evening and weekend events.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
• Special events experience – 2 years of experience minimum; 4+ years preferred. Experience must include production of large-scale events for nonprofit organizations, from the early initial creative/planning stages, all the way through to execution and wrap-up.
• Administration – proven administration skills and extremely high attention to detail.
• Communication skills – strong writing and speaking skills.
• Time management – ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities accordingly.
• Team player – Creates positive work relationships and contributes positively to our organizational culture – someone who is fun to work with.
• Creativity – Someone who enjoys finding new solutions to existing opportunities, and welcomes new ideas.
• Interpersonal – the ability to listen to, connect with and inspire a wide range of partners and stakeholders.
• Education – Bachelor’s Degree at minimum.
1. Event Planning
• Coordinates events, meetings, and special visits for the Foundation and Hospital
• Sources and manages vendors for all facets of event production including caterers, florists, etc.
• Manages event budgets and expenses.
• Responsible for maintaining RSVP list/registration process.
• Coordinates the contract review process.
2. Strategic Planning
• Enhances the experience of donors and prospects through high-quality events and projects that will elevate the vision and reputation of the Foundation, Hospital and leadership team.
• Troubleshoots and resolves logistical problems as they arise during the planning process and execution of events.
• Works closely with accounting to process and resolve event-related expenses.
3. Donor Relations
• Provides excellent customer service to board members, prospects, donors, colleagues, clinical
partners, volunteers and Foundation and Hospital leadership.
• Works closely with supervisors to collaborate on other stewardship efforts when necessary.
• Designs engagement experiences and opportunities for cultivation of targeted constituencies.
• Demonstrates good decision making during day-to-day operations; provides support to fellow coworkers.
• Works collaboratively with all foundation staff and Hospital staff to resolve issues.
4. Data Integrity
• Ensures event-related data is tracked and recorded appropriately.
• Maintains highest standards of security and confidentiality of data.
• Produces reports as required for planning and review purposes.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Trevor Blair, Principal, Blair Search Partners
550 West B Street, 4th floor, San Diego, CA 92101