Compensation: $75,000 – $90,000
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Direct reports: 4 (total team of 5)
WHO WE ARE:
Promises2Kids is a leading nonprofit organization originally founded over 35 years ago as the Child Abuse Prevention Foundation of San Diego County. Since 1981, we have responded to the needs of foster children and provided support to children removed from their home due to abuse and neglect. Each year we provide over 3,000 current and former foster youth in San Diego County with the tools, opportunities, and guidance they need to overcome significant life challenges, and grow into healthy, happy and successful adults. We deliver services through our four core programs: The A.B and Jessie Polinsky Children’s Center, Camp Connect, Guardian Scholars and Foster Funds. Since our inception, we have distributed nearly $25 million for the care and protection of abused and neglected children and provided services for more than 200,000 children in need. Overseeing the staff and working under the Chief Development Officer, the Director will help us reach our 2020 goal of $5.0 million.
Reporting to our Chief Development Officer, the Director of Philanthropy / Director of Development Operations will oversee the day-to-day operations of our development department, ensuring that our fundraising team has the right management oversight, training, tools and processes to reach or exceed their goals. This includes developing processes for team members and the department regarding donor engagement, follow-up, data collections, etc. The Director’s success will be based on effectively managing the team’s overall revenue performance in all areas including: individual giving, monthly giving, major gifts, community campaigns, grants, philanthropic partnerships and special events. It is envisioned that the Director will take ownership of implementing the entire development function from prospects, cultivation, acquisition and stewardship. The Director will work closely with our CEO and CDO to create and manage our fundraising strategy and stewardship plan. This position will serve on our senior leadership team and will oversee the implementation of fundraising best practices with regards to strategy, structure and processes.
The Director of Philanthropy’s strategic priorities will fall into four main areas:
1. Management: engage with the development staff, assess overall team and individual capabilities, provide coaching and mentoring as required; ensure the department has a happy, healthy and productive culture.
2. Strategy: complete a top-to-bottom review of our development function and make recommendations for enhancement and implementation of fundraising best practices. Develop annual plans for each area (monthly giving annual fund, web-based, grants, special events, community partnerships, major gifts) and marketing initiatives to support these efforts.
3. Stewardship: develop and implement a stewardship plan for donors across the development department and programs team.
4. Donors: become acquainted with our donor base and develop and implement a plan for engaging with key philanthropic leaders in the San Diego community. Assist the CDO in supporting the Board Philanthropy Committee.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
• Manage and inspire the Development team.
• Assist staff with time management and improve workflows within the team.
• Implement best practices for donor prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement, stewardship and tracking.
• Participate in the establishment of development policies, procedures, plans, goals and budgets.
• Assist with the planning and implementation of fundraising events.
• Provide outstanding customer service and support to donors, volunteers, staff and other community contacts.
• Oversee community campaign activities in partnership with our Community Relations Department, such as the direct mail appeal program.
• Report on performance toward yearly goals to our CDO and CEO.
• Represent our organization through public presentations and speaking, media events, attending meetings, giving tours, networking etc.
• Oversee management of our electronic donor database system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & ATTRIBUTES:
• Excellent organizational, time management, multi-tasking, and planning skills.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively coach, mentor and lead teams.
• Fast learner – able to quickly get up-to-speed on the foster care system.
• Strong writing and editing skills.
• Ability to hold staff accountable to timelines, deliverables and outcomes.
• Creates and drives high-level strategy.
• Charismatic, driven, and able to naturally inspire and motivate.
• Ability to work effectively with diverse personalities.
• Experience using metrics to manage and improve performance.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
• Superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
• Quick, nimble and flexible work style.
• Possesses a strong spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship.
• Demonstrates initiative and sound decision-making skills.
• Maintains an upbeat and enthusiastic attitude, even under pressure.
• Willingness to jump in and assist colleagues with a variety of tasks across the organization.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as required for donor events.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Marketing or equivalent experience.
2. At least 7 years of fundraising experience and 5 years of management leadership experience.
3. Passion and commitment to our mission of supporting foster children.
4. Ability to connect with high-profile San Diego philanthropists and get them involved with Promises2Kids.
5. Additional significant experience with community relations.
6. Successful track record of working with corporate donors, individual donors and third-party organizations/community partners.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Principal, Blair Search Partners