Who We Are
Our Mission: To create safer schools and communities through education and inspiring children in the restorative principles of accountability, compassion, forgiveness, and peacemaking.
We are shifting the culture and climate in schools across the country, creating a better environment for children to learn and thrive. Since our founding more than 25 years ago, the Tariq Khamisa Foundation (TKF), has been committed to improving outcomes for youth by delivering a continuum of services that bolster social-emotional health, resiliency, and equity in education. Our programming follows a project-based learning model designed for children ages 6 to 16, as this is the critical time when belonging and becoming are critical to healthy social-emotional development. TKF programs create safer schools and communities by educating and inspiring youth in the restorative principles of accountability, compassion, forgiveness, and peacemaking. As a 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization, our work is driven by restorative and social justice principles that celebrate diversity and collaboration.
This work has never been more critical. The COVID shutdown, isolation, and frequent loss of family members and caregivers has traumatized children across the country, disproportionately in communities of color. With our expertise in social-emotional support and healing, TKF is playing an important role in helping the country return to normalcy.
Based in San Diego, we have begun a national expansion of our Safe School Model, with sites in Pennsylvania, and Colorado and plans for further expansion throughout the country. Preparations are underway for the development of the TKF Training Institute for Peace and Forgiveness, with an emphasis on expanded training of educators, parents, and students. From our current team of 12 members and an annual budget of $800,000, these plans will expand TKF’s mission exponentially.
Our History: TKF was founded in 1995 following the senseless murder of 20-year-old Tariq Khamisa, by 14-year old Tony Hicks. Recognizing victims on both sides of the gun, the families came together in the spirit of healing to launch TKF. In compassion and true restorative justice, TKF worked tirelessly to secure Hicks’ release from prison in 2019. TKF is a true testament to the healing power of forgiveness as a catalyst for humanity’s greater good. For more information, please visit: http://www.tkf.org
Leadership & Culture
TKF is led by Executive Director Tasreen Khamisa, who joined her father in creating the organization dedicated to making a difference in the lives of children. Tasreen is a respected nonprofit program administrator and social justice leader. She has been instrumental in the development of educational programming designed to teach and support healthy social-emotional development especially with vulnerable, at-risk youth populations.
This is an exciting time to join TKF as we are in a period of rapid expansion both within and outside of the San Diego region. The Operations Manager will work directly with the Executive Director and other members of the team to support the new initiatives and the organizational growth.
Benefits & Features
- Salary: $55,000 – $60,000
- Full employee medical, dental and vision coverage
- 401K retirement benefits with 100% match on the first 3% deferred, then 50% of contributions from 3% to 5%.
- 5 paid days off
- 5 paid sick days
- 7 paid holidays
This role is hybrid, with an office located in the Mira Mesa/Scripps Ranch area of San Diego. The Operations Manager will primarily work in the office 4 days per week with the option to work one day remotely.
This newly created position is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing organization with ambitious plans for the future. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Operations Manager will work closely with the Executive Director and Program Director, playing a central role in supporting and successfully executing the day-to-day activities to guarantee smooth business operations. Responsibilities will include administrative, program and personnel support, financial management, oversight of the office and facilities, and ensuring quality control of the organization’s policies and procedures. This is a high-volume role, requiring the ability to work independently on projects and manage a wide variety of activities and confidential matters under tight deadlines and with the utmost discretion. It is critical that the Operations Manager be proactive in anticipating needs and addressing unforeseen developments, enabling the Executive Director to be as efficient and effective as possible in managing the organization and partnering with the Program Director on business development efforts. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who enjoys working behind the scenes to support their team and make things happen.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as the office manager and oversees the building facilities. Serves as the point person for all building vendors including security, IT, and insurance.
- Assists in the planning and organizing of program operations.
- Answer a variety of complex questions regarding program purpose and policies to program staff and the public, related to the Program and Human Resources Policies.
- Prepare and maintain an accurate list of documentation deadlines and ensures that reports are completed in a timely manner.
- Maintains inventory, operational and program supplies and manages vendor relations.
- Makes travel arrangements, assuring that travel plans for staff are made timely and cost-effectively.
- Supports preparation of contracts, confidential reports, and compliance reports.
- Monitors systems for efficiencies, and secures storage and retrieval of all program documents, correspondence, and staff files.
- General administrative tasks including managing calendars, and the general office phone line and email address.
- Applies sensitivity to the confidential nature of personal and recruitment information collected on personnel and potential candidates.
- Maintains all confidential personnel records, and tracks completion of new hire paperwork (advertising, interview rating sheets, references, etc.).
- Handles activities related to background clearances (Criminal History, National Sex Offender Public Registry).
- Provides support to program staff by proactively handling operational issues.
- Collaborates with management on personnel issues regarding payroll, benefits, etc.
- Assist with accounting functions including, but not limited to, processing invoices, check requests, mileage, pricing, and purchase requisitions.
- Serve as the liaison to the contracted accounting firm who oversees the finances and accounting.
- File and receipt management.
- Review invoices for accuracy and completeness, make mathematical corrections and monitor payments.
- Manage project expenditures.
- Purchasing supplies for the organization through competitive bid and/or cost price analysis.
- Assist in the monitoring of administrative support services in line with program policies and procedures.
- Performs audits on aspects of service documentation, staff/member personnel processes, and site management.
- Assist in the review and updating of policy and procedure manuals.
- Experience providing direct support to executive leadership in a fast-paced organization.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously and with a keen eye for detail; highly proactive; motivated, with a positive personality and excellent follow-through.
- Outstanding verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Skilled Microsoft Office suite user.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
The Tariq Khamisa Foundation values the health and wellbeing of all its employees and the communities we service. To help prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, Tariq Khamisa Foundation requires that all its employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to legally required exemptions.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Sarah Thompson, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101