Compensation: $130-150K DOE/neg.
Reports to: San Diego Franchisee & Owner
Direct reports: 5
Location: San Diego (Sorrento Valley)
WHO WE ARE:
As America’s first and largest franchise operator for Nothing Bundt Cakes, our company has built a thriving business across San Diego County over the past 12 years. Today, our operations have expanded to include 7 retail locations, a corporate office in Sorrento Valley, and a team of over 130 staff. We are proud to be part of the Nothing Bundt Cakes brand, which has built a nationwide reputation for a unique, exceedingly high-quality product. Our success is based on absolute attention to detail, applied across every aspect of our operations, from sourcing the freshest ingredients to product detailing and display. While our cakes are fun, creative and whimsical, we take our business very seriously. Nothing Bundt Cakes operates in an extremely competitive retail environment, and so our ongoing success depends on our professionalism, strategic thinking, and unwavering operational excellence. Please visit https://www.nothingbundtcakes.com/ for more company information.
The COO is a new position in our organization, reporting directly to our Franchise Founder & Owner. She/he will be involved in every aspect of the business, focused on further professionalizing the organization and optimizing our operations. Although based in our corporate office in Sorrento Valley, we expect the COO will spend approximately 25% of his/her time in the field, working directly with our bakeries/retail locations. As the most senior member of our team, the COO will lead our day-to-day operations, overseeing most aspects of the business. We estimate the COO’s focus will be allocated as follows:
Operations (60% focus allocation): ultimate responsibility for the day-to-day performance of the business. Our 7 Bakery Managers report to our Operations Director, who in turn reports up to the new COO. Operational responsibilities include purchasing, distribution, real-estate/leases, and revenue management. We expect that as the COO gets the business structured and operating optimally, the focus will be rebalanced away from Operations towards more finance-related areas.
Human Resources (15% focus allocation): manage NBC’s HR Manager, who is in turn supported by our HR Liaison. Ensure our staffing levels meet both current and future business requirements, and that our brand remains competitive in the candidate marketplace. Approve all employee hiring activity, as well as oversee employee relations, payroll and other HR compliance requirements.
Finance (12.5% focus allocation): oversee the financial performance delivered by our business operations. This includes budgeting, forecasting, strategic planning and capital allocation. The COO will work closely with our Franchise Owner to plan future expansions and drive our business forward. Direct reports under finance are the Office Manager and our contract Controller.
Marketing (12.5% focus allocation): overseeing our Marketing Assistant, the COO will review and approve each of our seasonal marketing campaigns, as well as the mix of seasonal retail items in each retail location. Given that most of the marketing and promotional materials are created by our corporate office in Dallas, we estimate the marketing focus will remain the smallest focus area.
Near-term: Year 1
- Learning: become familiar with every aspect of our business, building up a detailed understanding of our people and operations. This may include travel to our corporate headquarters in Dallas to meet with senior executives and to receive additional training.
- Staffing: review our recruiting and retention strategies to ensure the people side of the business is running smoothly. This includes our strategies for hiring, training, and employee engagement, as well as our overall HR systems and approach.
- Franchise relations: combining the learning and staffing priorities, the COO will become an expert in running a Nothing Bundt Cakes franchise operation.
Long-term: Year 2 and beyond
- Rebalancing our store portfolio: support expansion into new locations across San Diego County. This may also include closing and relocating underperforming stores.
- Retail strategy: explore and develop new retailing concepts and strategies to help grow the Nothing Bundt Cakes brand across our region.
- Corporate office: evaluate whether our corporate office should be relocated from its present location in Sorrento Valley.
ATTRIBUTES & WORK STYLE:
- Energy: enjoys working hard; is action-oriented and full of vitality.
- Directness: Comfortable being very direct, even blunt, as required
- Speed: someone who thinks fast, and moves fast
- Accessible: must be comfortable answering their cell phone night and day
- Tactful: sets clear priorities and boundaries
- Accountable: holds themselves and others accountable
- Forthright: brutally honest and transparent
- Meticulous: exceptionally detail-oriented
- Perseverance: sees things through to completion; especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Planning and Process Management: exceptional mind for optimizing workflow and managing people, systems and procedures.
- Analytical: ability to carefully study issues, identify trends and formulate new ideas.
- Organization: exceptionally organized and efficient, both personally and professionally.
- Flexibility and Problem Solving: open to change, highly adaptable as situations might require.
- Coaching and Mentoring: demonstrated ability to motivate and develop staff.
- Strategy: agile thinker who communicates a compelling vision for success.
- Leadership: preference for leading from the front, pitching in to assist at any level, as circumstances require.
- Thick skinned: willing and able to have the difficult conversations as/when required.
- Entrepreneurial: creative thinker, focused on solutions and outcomes.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of management level work experience, serving in operations-based roles, including significant budgetary responsibilities and oversight.
- 5+ years of experience coaching and managing staff to achieve goals/targets.
- Hands-on experience managing or owning a franchise operation.
- Experience overseeing a large workforce with a significant number of entry-level employees.
- Well-versed in CA labor law.
- Direct experience working within the retail and/or food sector.
- Prior experience growing an early-stage organization to scale and maturity.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Principal, Blair Search Partners
550 West B Street, 4th Floor
San Diego, CA 92101