Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: San Diego
Travel: As required to meet with funders & partner organizations
Salary: $150,000 DOE/neg.
Direct Reports: 3 staff + 6 contractors/consultants
WHO WE ARE:
Natural High was founded to combat America’s #1 health problem – adolescent drug and alcohol abuse. According to The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, 9 out of 10 addictions begin in the teen years. At Natural High, we know that change begins by engaging youth on their terms — through compelling stories told by people who they look to as examples, such as professional athletes, artists and musicians. We have developed a highly effective curriculum for schools and parents, which we are rolling out globally. Through the power of positive role models and storytelling, Natural High empowers youth to make good choices and live life well.
Today, Natural High reaches over 8 million young people around the world. Two decades of youth are now thriving and choosing their Natural High over drugs and alcohol — all through the power of storytelling and positive examples. At Natural High, we keep it simple: we provide content and action steps that are easy, fun, effective, and meet Common Core standards. We share materials for free, and we encourage our community to use us as an ongoing resource with no associated costs. We engage influencers, educators, and peer groups to help young people discover those core activities in their lives that uplift, inspire, and motivate them — to find their ‘Natural High’ rather than use alcohol or drugs. Our mission is to inspire and empower youth to find their Natural High and develop the skills and courage to live life well. For more information, please visit us at: https://naturalhigh.org/
Natural High seeks an experienced executive to lead the organization through its next growth stage. This individual will have a passion for prevention and a commitment to advancing the mission of Natural High. Partnering with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director oversees all aspects of the organization, including strategic planning, outreach, operations, budgeting, administration, and logistics. She/he will manage an annual budget of approximately $1.5M and a team of 9 (3 staff + 6 contractors/consultants). Although the organization is based in San Diego, the Executive Director could work remotely from another city, although the role requires a minimum of 5 days per month in San Diego. Experience in the development and roll out of digital marketing strategies and campaigns is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have experience in 5 core areas:
- Digital Marketing
- Educational Technology (EdTech)
- Nonprofit Management
- Youth Programming
Initial priorities for this position include:
- Assisting with evaluation, final development and roll out of the new strategic plan
- Staff management and development
- Refocusing the Executive Director role to be more externally-focused
Key areas of responsibility and approximate focus allocation:
- Fundraising – 30%
- Operations and Programs – 20%
- Strategy – 15%
- Staff Management and Development – 15%
- Marketing and Communications – 15%
- Board Relations and Support – 5%
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Leadership experience – hands-on experience as a leader, manager or key team member of a small-to-medium sized organization.
- Fundraising – proven ability to grow existing funding sources and add new revenue sources through individual giving, grants, contracts and other partnerships.
- Business acumen – strong skills with regards to budgeting, reporting, operations, and marketing; strategic and innovative, giving attention to both short-term and long-term objectives.
- Strategy – ability to balance strategy and execution; skilled at crafting strategy and then following through to implementation.
- Communication skills – written and oral, including strong listening skills and the ability to connect with and inspire a wide range of partners and stakeholders. Transparent and open to feedback and constructive criticism.
- Branding and communications – ability to drive innovative marketing and communications strategies to build Natural High’s brand awareness and organization footprint.
- Public speaking and media relations – excellent public speaking and presentation skills; ability to passionately and effectively tell our story and inspire others to action. Demonstrates tact and diplomacy at all times.
- Board relations – experience working with a board of community leaders, including reporting, advising and board member recruitment; experience partnering with the board on strategic planning, and working closely with the board to ensure goals and milestones are met or exceeded.
- Performance Management – produces quarterly reviews for the board against strategic objectives. Additionally, produces monthly reports via the organization’s dashboard with metrics that include page views, videos watched, programs completed, amount fundraised, etc.
- Education – an understanding of the educational landscape and/or having been a teacher in K-12 education.
- Espouses a collaborative leadership style, bringing staff and stakeholders into the strategic vision, and promoting transparency to the highest degree possible.
- Truly cares about the well-being of each team member and takes an active role in their development.
- Helps staff prioritize tasks and objectives.
- Listens closely, and actively seeks opinions from disparate vantage points.
- A natural connector who can bring the right people and resources together to effect change.
- Ability to develop community partnerships with other nonprofit and educational organizations.
- Experienced with managing a network of outside consultants and vendors/source providers.
- Unabashed optimist who can see through or around obstacles.
- Visionary who takes the long view to accomplishing big things.
- Growth mindset with a strong tolerance for ambiguity.
- Comfortable with taking and managing risks.
- Minimum of 5 years of leadership experience within a nonprofit or educational setting (relevant corporate experience will also be considered)
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Strong grasp of effective digital marketing strategies
- Demonstrated experience in developing strategic visions and plans
- Proven success with fundraising and increasing organizational revenue
- Commitment to quality programs and user experience with data-driven program evaluation
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of and experience with educational theory and practices
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Trevor Blair, Principal
Blair Search Partners LLC
550 West B Street, 4th floor, San Diego, CA 92101