Locations: San Diego, CA.
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Major Gifts Officer, Education Programs
Locations: San Diego, CA.
We are dedicated to creating a brighter future for foster children in San Diego County. A nonprofit organization, Promises2Kids was originally founded over 35 years ago as the Child Abuse Prevention Foundation of San Diego County. Since 1981, we have responded to the needs of foster children and provided support to children removed from their homes due to abuse and neglect. Each year we provide over 3,000 current and former foster youth in San Diego County with the tools, opportunities, and guidance they need to overcome significant life challenges, and grow into healthy, happy and successful adults. We deliver services through our 4 core programs: The A.B and Jessie Polinsky Children’s Center, Camp Connect, Guardian Scholars and Foster Funds. Since our inception, we have distributed nearly $25 million for the care and protection of abused and neglected children and provided services for more than 200,000 children in need. To learn more, please visit: https://promises2kids.org/.
With a team of 25 staff and an annual operating budget of over $5M, Promises2Kids is one of the region’s leading organizations serving foster children. We are continuing to expand our development team (currently 9 members) with this new position, created to provide dedicated fundraising support for all of our education initiatives, including our flagship Guardian Scholars program.
As a frontline fundraising position, the Major Gifts Officer will use a moves management approach to work with individual and corporate donors, tracking and reporting progress to 30-day targets and milestones. This includes maximizing support from current donors as well as identifying and engaging new prospective donors. They will have responsibility for managing and executing every stage of the development process, including research, prospecting/identification, cultivation and solicitation. The Major Gifts Officer will oversee an individual portfolio of 100-150 prospects and donors, ensuring that our funders receive the highest level of service and appreciation.
We are committed to a team-based approach to the development and stewardship of our donors and the Major Gifts Officer will work extremely closely with all members of our development team, in particular with the Chief Development Officer (CDO), Director of Philanthropic Operations (DPO), and other Development team members. Above all else, the Major Gift Officer will work to establish authentic and meaningful relationships with individual donors, enabling us to reach our overall organization growth target of $6M annually.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assist in advancing a culture of philanthropy and collaboration across the organization to ensure maximum fundraising effectiveness.
- Develop a deep understanding of Promises2Kids’ priorities in order to create accurate and compelling solicitations for prospective supporters.
- Apply a moves management methodology and data tracking to measure progress towards goals.
- Begin with an initial individual annual revenue goal of $250K within the first year.
- Achieve annual goals by identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individuals for major gifts of $10,000 and above for the Partners in Education Giving Initiative in support of the Guardian Scholars program.
- Identify potential new potential fundraising opportunities in support of the Guardian Scholars program; develop individualized strategies to engage, cultivate, solicit and steward these prospects.
- Identify and implement strategies to upgrade existing Guardian Scholars supporters.
- Conduct 1:1 prospecting sessions with high-level donors to identify and qualify major gift prospects.
- Secure at least 1 donor hosted fundraising/friend-raising event annually to engage and cultivate donors.
- Advocate for Promises2Kids in a variety of public and private forums.
- Represent Promises2Kids at events and community activities; work occasional evenings and weekends to attend and support events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Minimum 4 years of frontline fundraising experience, with a strong understanding of relationship development strategies and tactics.
- Major gift fundraising experience required, with experience in asking for and closing major gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, representing Promises2Kids to a variety of people in a positive and professional manner.
- The ability to listen to, connect with, and inspire a wide range of potential funders.
- Articulate, poised, and possesses strong verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrates tact and diplomacy as and when situations might require, with the ability to handle sensitive information confidentially.
- Brings a collaborative approach and is excited to work as part of a close-knit team.
- Detail-oriented, but also values the “big picture”, remaining focused on established, long-term goals.
- Works efficiently under pressure, prioritizing tasks and responsibilities accordingly.
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate initiative, and achieve goals.
- Proficiency in fundraising databases, preferably Salesforce.
- Must be able to successfully pass the child abuse clearance, fingerprinting, and background check.
- Must possess reliable personal transportation and meet insurance requirements. There will be travel within the local area.
FOR MORE INFORMATION & TO APPLY
Sarah Thompson, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Ave., Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101