Compensation: $75,000 – $90,000 DOE/neg.
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct reports: Bookkeeper
WHO WE ARE:
Kid Spark Education is a nonprofit organization working with educators to provide fun, hands-on engineering programs that help all children, especially children from underrepresented communities, to develop STEM identity and technology fluency. With an annual operating budget of $1.5 million and 8 staff members, our STEM programs have been adopted in over 1,200 educational institutions across 49 states. Clients include school systems, libraries, nonprofits, and after-school educational programs. Although our organization was founded over 20 years ago, we became a 501(c)(3) entity within the past few years. This purposeful and strategic shift in our focus allows us to expand our philanthropic efforts – locally, nationally, and globally. Our affordable programs are designed to follow children through their entire elementary and middle-school careers, starting with preschoolers and continuing with progressive STEM learning through 8th grade. By introducing young children to STEM subjects as soon as they enter their first classroom, and continuously offering these applied STEM experiences every year, we are closing the STEM achievement gap. To learn more about Kid Spark Education, please visit us: https://kidsparkeducation.org/
The Director of Finance is a critical role on our senior leadership team, with overall strategic and operational responsibility for all fiscal areas, including executive-level direction and management oversight for financial planning, budgeting and analysis, accounting, finance controls and reporting, and risk management. As a leader who can create an inspiring departmental vision, they will oversee the development and achievement of short and long-term financial objectives, while simultaneously being detail-oriented enough to serve as a technical resource for staff. To succeed in this capacity, this individual must evaluate the current state of affairs in the finance department, understand the strategic direction of the organization, and steer the finances in the appropriate direction.
Initial priorities for this position include:
- Conduct a thorough assessment of the organization’s existing finance and accounting procedures, and implement any required updates.
- Take ownership of financial strategy and planning, and revamp the organization’s financial reporting system.
- Ensure timely and accurate budgets, financial reports and cash forecasts are provided.
- Complete the organization’s NetSuite implementation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with the Executive Director and the leadership team on strategic planning.
- Make recommendations for the infrastructure, processes, and procedures the organization needs for future growth and corporate consolidation.
- Appraise the organization’s financial position and provide reports on the organization’s financial stability, liquidity, and growth.
- Execute budgeting, accounting and long-range forecasting activities. Ensure legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions.
- Develop and report on key financial and operational metrics driving organizational performance.
- Oversee and conduct all accounting functions: A/R, A/P, payroll, contracts, allocations, etc.
- Create a weekly sales snapshot, capturing key data points including quantities, liquidity, cash, forecasting, etc.
- Simplify and effectively communicate complex finance and accounting concepts to staff.
- Monitor and manages the organization’s cash flow requirements.
- Ensure all critical budget, billing and budget review deadlines are consistently met.
- Manage relationships with external service providers including auditors, banks and other vendors.
- Oversee inventory and maintenance for all fixed assets.
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS in Accounting or Finance, MBA and/or CPA highly desirable.
- 7+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles, with demonstrated capability in leading all financial functions.
- Experience with nonprofit and/or social enterprise accounting and finance preferred.
- Familiarity with NetSuite preferred.
- Adept at forecasting, strategy and advising senior leadership on relevant trends.
- Broad experience across financial planning and analysis, budgeting, reporting, and contract management.
- Remains current with the latest strategies, best-practices and technology as related to finance and accounting.
- Enjoys working with a small, tight-knit team, in a dog-friendly office.
ATTRIBUTES & WORK STYLE:
- Passionate: Driven by Kid Spark Education’s mission, which is to help children prepare for a lifetime of interest in science and technology.
- Team Player: Highly collaborative, with a calm and confident leadership style.
- Growth Mindset: Curious and innovative; views challenges as learning opportunities.
- Entrepreneurial: Thrives in a highly creative, fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Analytical: Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Participative: Must be hands-on, and comfortable building processes and procedures that might currently be lacking.
- Meticulous: Superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Communicative: Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Tact & Diplomacy: Patient, and willing/able to have the difficult conversations as required.
- Metrics-driven: An innovative thinker, pairing ideas with solutions and measurable outcomes.
- Planning and Process Management: Exceptional mind for optimizing workflow and managing systems, procedures, budgets and programs.
- Self-Starter: Demonstrates a strong personal initiative and sound decision-making skills.
- Organized: Ability to assess and streamline workflows and other business processes, at both the departmental and organizational levels.
- Resourceful: Willingness to jump in and assist colleagues with a variety of tasks across the organization.