Location: La Jolla, CA
Reports To: 1) President of the West Health Institute, and 2) Chief Strategy Officer
Compensation: $65,000 – $75,000 DOE/neg.
Location: La Jolla, CA
West Health is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment for all employees. As a healthcare organization all employees are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted.
WHO WE ARE:
Founded in 2009 by philanthropists Gary and Mary West, our mission is to lower the cost of healthcare and enable seniors to successfully age in place. Headquartered in San Diego with an office in Washington, D.C., West Health is comprised of three main entities:
West Health Institute: a 501(c)(3) medical research organization that conducts applied medical research to generate the evidence needed for healthcare providers, policymakers and communities to adopt models of care that better serve seniors and their families.
West Health Policy Center: located in Washington, D.C., our nonprofit, nonpartisan policy center develops and supports research to reduce legislative and regulatory barriers and increase reimbursement opportunities to advance acute and chronic care models and supportive services for seniors.
Gary & Mary West Foundation: our 501(c)(3) private, non-operating Foundation, established in 2006 and providing outcomes-based funding to support initiatives that lower the cost of healthcare to enable seniors to successfully age in place with access to high-quality, affordable health and support services that preserve and protect their dignity, quality of life and independence.
Led by President & CEO Shelley Lyford, our team of 55 staff come from a wide variety of backgrounds but are united in our unwavering commitment to and passion for science, philanthropy and public health.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a prominent and well-funded public health organization working on groundbreaking initiatives to transform healthcare for decades to come. The Executive Assistant role will support two incredibly dynamic senior executives: Tim Lash, President of the West Health Institute, and Dr. Jon Zifferblatt, Chief Strategy Officer for West Health. In this capacity, the EA will work across almost every area of the organization, managing a broad range of responsibilities and serving as the primary point of contact for these two executives, both internally and externally. This is a high-volume, highly visible role, requiring the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and manage a wide variety of activities and confidential matters under tight deadlines and with the utmost discretion. It is critical that the Executive Assistant be proactive in anticipating needs and addressing unforeseen developments, enabling the executives to be as efficient, and effective as possible in serving the organization. The Executive Assistant role requires someone who brings a customer service mindset to everything they do, and is a helper by nature – someone who enjoys working behind the scenes to support their executives and make things happen.
The Executive Assistant position sits at the crossroads of our organizational structure. As an extremely broad role, no two days are the same, with an opportunity learn and grow almost daily. The EA will support an extremely diverse range of strategic and tactical projects and initiatives. It is a highly connected position, where your work and accomplishments will be recognized and appreciated. While a healthcare background would be helpful, the ideal candidate could come from almost any industry background. We are committed to a highly collaborative team-based culture built on in-person relationships. Although our office is currently closed due to the pandemic, our entire staff will be returning to our workspace when safe to do so.
Anticipated focus allocation for this position:
- Calendar management, coordinating and scheduling 30%
- Travel, reservations and logistics 30%
- General administrative support and communications 15%
- Expense reports 15%
- West Health Policy Center budget (meetings, dashboard maintenance) 10%
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support two high–profile executives with heavy meeting schedules and frequent travel.
- Proactively research, prioritize and follow–up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the executives, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature and acting on their behalf to determine an appropriate course of action/response.
- Complete a broad variety of daily administrative tasks including:
- Managing an active calendar of appointments
- Completing expense reports
- Composing correspondence
- Travel arrangements and reservations
- Creating itineraries and agendas
- Coordinate conference calls and virtual meetings
- Compiling documents
- Maintaining meeting notes and minutes
- Data entry, filing and organizing
- Ensure our President and Chief Strategy Officer are prepared for meetings and events; prepare travel packets and give support speaking engagements.
- Provide other logistical assistance that may include local errands/travel.
- As a member of the Operations & Administration team, assist other departments and staff to ensure smooth operations across the organization.
- Provide administrative support to West Health’s various Boards, advisors, committee members and benefactors as needed.
- Manage and attend meetings including scheduling, technology/audio-visual support, catering and meeting set-up/breakdown.
- Troubleshoot minor IT tasks related to conference call and video conferencing; proactively plan for technology challenges by ensuring IT support is available.
- Track the West Health Policy Center budget and assist in completing our new budget dashboard.
- Develop and sustain relationships with a wide array of team members, partners and stakeholders, all of whom are critical to West Health’success.
- Handle highly sensitive and/or critical information, files, records and reports with the utmost professionalism, discretion and confidentiality
- Prioritize conflicting needs often with a tight deadline pressures.
- Exercise utmost discretion while handling matters expeditiously and ensuring proactive follow-through and follow-up on all projects assigned.
- Greet scheduled visitors; assist with the front desk coverage for lunch, breaks and vacation/sick coverage.
- Participate on the Safety Awareness team and assist with fire drill coordination
- Other duties as assigned.
- Professional: exceptionally polished and presentable, with impeccable communication skills across all mediums (in-person, phone, email and virtual); demonstrates judgment, tact, and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Organized: incredible attention to detail, with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously; someone who naturally checks and rechecks their own work.
- Flexibility: available to support the executives on short-notice projects, accommodate travel and cover special events, especially during executive travel across time zones; enthusiastically accepts other duties as assigned.
- Responsive: highly accessible and completes tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Discrete: exercises utmost discretion and uses independent judgment while managing a wide variety of special projects; ability to handle confidential information
- Communicative: has an eye for detail and design, with strong editing and proofreading skills for correspondence on behalf of the executives and other senior leaders.
- Hands-on: someone who enjoys being on the front line and making things happen.
- Proactive: constantly looking ahead, anticipating potential changes in scheduling, logistics and travel arrangements and proposing new solutions and alternatives.
- Positive: maintains an upbeat attitude, even under pressure; reflects positive energy, optimism, enthusiasm and creativity.
- Charismatic: warm and friendly with the ability to quickly build relationships, yet maintain appropriate and clear boundaries between personal and professional dynamics.
- Confident: brings a “can-do” attitude, remaining calm and focused under pressure, self-assured in their abilities; enjoys picking up new skills and taking on new projects and resposibilities.
- Strategic: ability to see across the entire network of organizations associated with West Health, with an appreciation for the interconnectedness of all the various partners and functional areas.
- Loyal: Enjoys working in a highly collegial environment; demonstrates a firm commitment to their executives and the organization’s mission.
- Tech-savvy: skilled user across all the standard business software platforms, including MS Office, internet, iPhone and comfortable operating audio/video equipment for meetings, webinars, conferences and presentations. Capable of assisting with level 1 technology support and troubleshooting.
- Growth Mindset: ability to be creative and apply solutions-based thinking to challenges and opportunities; applies a continuous improvement lens to everything they do.
- Collaborative: ability to build professional relationships at all levels and work effectively with physicians, employees, patients, key stakeholders, and grantees at all times.
- Self-actualized: ability to work with minimal supervision, someone who enjoys “figuring it out” and seeing things through to completion.
- Ethical: possess the highest ethical standards; ability to exercise discretion, professionalism, and uncompromising integrity.
REQUISITE EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience providing close direct support to a dynamic high–level executive, or elected official of a large, complex organization.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously; highly proactive.
- Outstanding verbal, interpersonal and written communications skills; must demonstrate judgment, tact and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external customers.
- Skilled Microsoft Office suite user and familiarity with virtual meeting platforms.
- Must be able to work flexible hours and travel locally for specific events, as needed.
- Committed to public health and science; must be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID- 19.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Blair Search Partners
Tia Anzellotti, Director
1855 First Ave., Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101