Compensation: $190,000 – $220,000 +10% performance incentive
Department: Real Estate Development (RED)
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports to: Senior Vice President of Real Estate Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
For 50 years, Eden has demonstrated that safe, decent, affordable homes provide a platform for families to succeed. Our homes are the launching pad for children to go to college and families to get ahead, and a landing place for seniors to age in place with dignity, courtesy and respect. Eden has worked in partnership with cities and local community partners to develop or acquire more than 10,600 homes in communities throughout California, currently serving a diverse population of 22,000 low-income residents from all cultures and backgrounds. Eden has experienced tremendous growth over the past 5 years, expanding our team to 25 members and 144 different properties across the state.
The Southern California market is an area of great potential for Eden. Under the leadership of the new VP of Real Estate Development, Eden’s regional footprint is anticipated to expand significantly. As the organization grows, the VP would potentially supervise several new positions, including staff at the Director/Associate Director, Senior/Project Manager/Associate Project Manager, and Project Administrator levels.
The position of Vice President of Real Estate Development, Southern California has been in the planning stages for the past 3 years. This is a very senior level role within the organization, responsible for building teams to develop and manage large-scale affordable housing projects. The VP will lead a team in sourcing, originating, coordinating and implementing all aspects of the development process. Projects may include new construction, acquisition and rehabilitation, portfolio syndication, inclusionary, and joint ventures with other developers. The position will also have responsibilities for leading and administering assigned aspects of management of the Real Estate Development (RED) Department, coordinating assigned aspects of RED’s coordination and cooperation with other Eden departments, and contributing to Eden organizational improvement. The Vice President of RED will cultivate and sustain a strong working partnership with all Eden Departments (Finance Accounting and Asset Management; Property Management, Facilities and Resident Services; Strategy and Infrastructure; Policy, Advocacy and Communications). This position will directly supervise at least one employee in the Real Estate Development Department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Identifying and evaluating potential new project sites and properties.
- Negotiating acquisition agreements.
- Assist with strategic planning, including identification of new program acidity areas.
- Conducting preliminary feasibility analyses and organizing critical community support.
- Researching and securing sources of predevelopment, construction and permanent financing from public and private sources.
- Working with public agency staff to assure timely public review and approval including environmental and other entitlement reviews.
- Coordinating environmental review and local agency approvals.
- Negotiating contracts with contractors, engineers and architects.
- Preparing and managing project budgets, cash flow projections and project schedules.
- Overseeing design and construction management to accommodate special-user needs, project budget, timelines, and lender/investor requirements.
- Making public presentations on behalf of Eden at external project and policy meetings.
- Assisting the Senior Vice President with hiring and orientation of new development staff.
- Providing coaching, mentoring, training and technical support for team members.
- Working with Eden Housing Resident Services to identify feasibility of on-site service programs and identifying potential funding sources.
- Partnering with Eden Housing Management and community groups to facilitate affirmative marketing and smooth transition to occupancy.
- Preparing reports and grant applications and presenting before public bodies and community groups.
- Leading team responses to RFQ’s and RFP’s.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience or background in all aspects of affordable housing project development from acquisition through construction completion, lease up, stabilization, perm loan conversion, and close out.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with local, state and federal housing financing programs; including HCD programs, local county programs, AHP, HOME, CDBG, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and Tax-Exempt Bonds.
- Advanced knowledge of the state and local entitlement and public approvals processes and/or advanced knowledge of the unique financial structuring issues when re-syndicating portfolio projects.
- Proven ability to direct multi-department activities; lead by example; formulate and execute company-wide goals and objectives and assess performance towards goals.
- Familiarity with and sensitivity to the needs of economically disadvantaged populations.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholder groups (staff, residents, vendors, government officials, lenders etc.) to foster collaboration and build consensus.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with an emphasis on supervising, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Collaborative work style with strong team building skills.
- Minimum of 3 years of team management/supervisory experience.
- Ability to conduct financial feasibility analysis and budget preparation.
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills
- Effective public presentation skills.
- Ability to work in and lead project teams and to work with a wide variety of individuals.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
Travel & Schedule Requirements:
- Candidates must have flexibility to travel throughout Eden’s portfolio, and attend evening and weekend meetings as required.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS) required, Master’s Degree (MA/MS) preferred, in Business, Planning or related field.
- 10 years of related professional experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other Required Skills, Abilities & Qualifications:
- Knowledge of and interest in affordable housing development and financing.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently on a wide variety of tasks.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), decision-making, interpersonal, negotiation, conflict resolution and time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate and interface professionally and sensitively to staff, board, residents and public.
- Flexible, creative, well-organized.
- Ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities in a fast paced, growth environment.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY, PLEASE CONTACT:
Sarah Thompson, Director
Blair Search Partners