Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: San Diego
Salary: $180,000 – $200,000 DOE/neg.
Direct reports: 7
NEW YORK CITY. LONDON. TOKYO. SAN DIEGO. America is in the midst of an urban renaissance that is remaking our world, our economy, and our neighborhoods. To compete on the global stage, the San Diego region must have a world-class Downtown. One that attracts the dreamers, the thinkers, the doers, the makers. As the “Voice of Downtown,” it is our mission to advance Downtown San Diego as the leading economic, cultural, and governmental center of the region through leadership, advocacy, and education. The Downtown San Diego Partnership serves as the leading advocate for the economic vitality and growth of Downtown San Diego.
We are a member-based, 501 (c)6 nonprofit business organization with over 350 members, representing 11,000 property owners and a variety of business sectors including real estate, technology, banking, law, defense, insurance, communications, energy, and tourism. Our members are committed to creating a vital and vibrant urban center that benefits the entire San Diego region. We are governed by a volunteer Executive Committee and Board of Directors. One of the most important services our organization provides is the Clean & Safe program, serving Downtown’s six main neighborhoods. The Clean & Safe team helps keep Downtown at its best with enhanced maintenance and safety services, including beautification efforts and a comprehensive homeless outreach program on behalf of property owners.
In October 2013, the Downtown San Diego Partnership released “Imagine Downtown,” a 20-year strategic vision to revitalize Downtown San Diego. Divided into five focus areas, “Imagine Downtown” serves as the framework through which the organization’s efforts are coordinated and concentrated. Please visit https://downtownsandiego.org/imagine-downtown/ to view the plan.
This is an extremely exciting time for the Partnership. Over the past 7 years we have grown from a startup organization of just 4 team members, into the leading advocate for the Downtown region. We have an extremely talented and capable team in place, and seek an innovative executive to keep up our momentum. The President & CEO oversees a budget of approximately $11 million, and a team of 23 staff members, in addition to the 100 team members of the Clean & Safe Program. This role is responsible for the organization’s overall financial health, vitality of our programs, and progress towards our strategic goals and objectives for 2017-18:
1. Drive Economic Development – placemaking, improving transit and mobility, and in sum, making Downtown an even better place to live and work.
2. Market Downtown San Diego – coordinate Business Improvement Districts, attract and promote major events, create and drive a brand and narrative for Downtown.
3. Increase Member Engagement – ensure members fully experience our value, and deepen their level of involvement and support.
4. Reduce Homelessness – collaborate regionally with government and nonprofits to address and reduce homelessness in the Downtown area.
5. Champion Large City Projects – these include the Convention Center expansion, revitalization of the Embarcadero and Harbor Island, a new Civic Center and revitalization of C street.
6. Political Advocacy – create, develop and drive policies and initiatives that support the above goals and objectives, and also support candidates that align accordingly.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
• Leadership – demonstrated experience working effectively at the leadership level with our three key sectors: business, government, and nonprofit.
• Business attraction – ability to work effectively with the San Diego Regional EDC, Chamber and other partner organizations to help recruit large employers to the Downtown area.
• Fundraising – drive fundraising efforts to support DSDP’s operations, as well as our 501(c)3 Qualify of Life Foundation.
• Program Management – executive level oversight of the Clean & Safe Program, as well as DSDP’s Property Based Improvement District/Business Improvement District programs.
• Consensus building – ability to manage myriad interest groups, work across party lines and balance competing interests.
• Finance – budget management and financial oversight experience; ability to identify and grow new funding streams outside of membership and events.
• Operations – capable and comfortable getting into details, and making decisions on the tactical level, as required.
• Board Relations – experience working closely with high-powered boards, including governance, strategic planning and board member recruitment.
• Government Relations – experience working with elected officials and staff at the City and County levels, on a wide range of issues.
• Networking – brings a strong network of local relationships, and an understanding of San Diego and its history.
• Culture – proven ability to develop and maintain an energetic, high-performing team culture.
• Diversity – adept at developing diversity, and effective working in a highly multigenerational environment.
• Media relations – effective working with and leveraging various media channels.
• Espouses an inclusive leadership style, bringing staff and stakeholders into the strategic vision, and promoting transparency to the highest degree possible.
• Extrovert who gains energy by working with and leading teams.
• A natural connector who can bring the right people and resources together to effect change.
• Listens closely, and actively seeks opinions from disparate vantage points.
• Employs tact and discretion at all times, and is not afraid of having the difficult conversations.
• Highly effective public speaker who enjoys attending events.
• Skilled at rapport building and diplomacy.
• Assertive and able to advocate and push back with appropriate force.
• Unabashed optimist who can see through or around obstacles.
• Visionary who takes the long view to accomplishing big things.
• Truly cares about the well-being of each team member, and takes an active role in their development.
FOR MORE INFORMATION & TO APPLY:
Trevor Blair, Blair Search Partners LLC
550 West B Street, 4th floor, San Diego, CA 92101