Director of Talent & Culture
Who We Are
Our mission is to end the housing affordability crisis and homelessness. Founded in 2005 by Jennifer LeSar, LeSar Holdings (LeSar) has developed a portfolio of three distinct practice areas to address these critical issues:
- LeSar Development Consultants: collaborates with leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change through customized consulting services focused on creating physically, economically, and environmentally resilient communities.
- Global Policy Leadership Academy: prepares professionals and civic leaders to advance solutions to intractable societal challenges through a deep commitment to the development of shared knowledge, best practices, and collaboration.
- LeSar Support Services: helps clients design, plan, implement, and manage large social-impact initiatives through financial intermediary, case management, community benefit organization liaison and contracting, and grants management services.
Our approach weaves equity into effective solutions that embrace best practices. Headquartered in San Diego with offices in Los Angeles and Sacramento, our nationwide team of over 100 professionals serves a diverse variety of clients in the private, public, philanthropic, and nonprofit sectors. We are a proud WBE and SBE.
Leadership & Culture
LeSar is led by an experienced senior staff of proven industry professionals dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusivity, transparency, and growth. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Talent & Culture will report to our Chief Strategy Officer, Garrett McClure. They will join a dynamic team of 14 senior leaders at the holding company level, including talented experts with decades of experience in the private, nonprofit, and public sectors. Working collaboratively, we leverage our expertise, experience, and creativity to solve complex, multi-disciplinary challenges and make positive, lasting change in communities.
Benefits & Features
- Salary: $120,000 base + up to $30,000 incentive
- Flexible hybrid or remote work options
- Reimbursement of up to $100 per month for cell phone and/or home office internet expenses and up to $25 per month for home office supplies
- 401(k) plan, with firm contributions of 3% of compensation per plan year
- Medical, dental and vision coverage, long-term disability, and life insurance
- Requested paid time off as needed
- 11 paid holidays
This role will primarily be remote, with a preference for a candidate based in San Diego or Los Angeles. Occasional travel at the local, state and even national level may be required from time to time.
This newly created position represents an extraordinary opportunity to impact the way our organization serves and develops our people. Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, the Director of Talent & Culture will ensure that we meet our commitment to developing all team members to their fullest potential, ensuring that our mission-driven organization is an outstanding place to build a career. As a member of the senior leadership team at LeSar, this very high-profile position within our organization will serve as a thought partner and strategic advisor to leadership in all areas related to people and culture. The Director will lead our learning, training and development, diversity, talent management, performance management, and compensation alignment efforts. They will expand HR’s role from basic employment administration to thought leadership and strategic support, positioning us for further growth. This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic, strategic, hands-on, DEI change agent, who listens intently and will keep staff and their well-being at the heart of everything we do to have a major impact across every area of the organization.
Initial priorities for this role include:
- Create a strategy and an organization-wide talent development program.
- Develop our Career Pathways education program, working in partnership with adult education experts from our Global Policy Leadership Academy.
- Implement Learning & Development initiatives in support of the new Career Pathways program and based on current identified needs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Introduce the firm to new ways of thinking about our people analytics and drive activity accordingly.
- Spend time with each team member, developing relationships, building trust, and getting to know their individual roles and skill sets.
- Partner effectively with staff at all levels of the organization, building trusting, respectful, and highly communicative relationships.
- Leverage technology to improve efficiencies and outcomes; implement new L&D systems and tools to support strategic talent development outcomes.
- Ensure our staff feel valued, supported, and empowered to grow both personally and professionally through their careers.
- Create a culture that welcomes staff feedback and implement different types of feedback loops that are consistent with our culture.
- Design career pathways with a transparent promotional process for all positions to ensure great clarity but maintain flexibility in staff roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure the onboarding process for new hires is organized, effective, and welcoming by partnering with People Operations.
- Proactively conduct reviews of our salary structure at regular intervals; make recommendations for equalization of salaries across jobs.
- Lead our talent retention efforts including employee recognition and promotion scales, as well as team recognition.
- Develop and manage a performance evaluation strategy that works across all our programs and departments, ensuring both consistency and effectiveness, and that it integrates with our compensation plan, L&D initiatives, and talent management strategies.
- In partnership with the Chief of Staff, oversee and implement organization-wide efforts involving diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competency.
- Ensure we instill a culture of diversity and social justice in every area of our organization and that our team reflects the communities we serve.
- Demonstrated experience in talent management-related roles; specific experience in talent development, L&D, and career pathways preferred.
- Proven ability to solve complex problems and to inspire and motivate staff.
- Hands-on experience building and maintaining positive and inclusive workplace cultures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail, and interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, employees, clients, and the public.
- Exceptionally high level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Experience coaching, mentoring, and/or certifications in coaching a plus.
- Those with lived experience as a member of a historically under-served community (i.e., low income communities, communities of color, LGBTQ communities, immigrant communities, those who have experienced homelessness, etc.) are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Tia Anzellotti, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101