Compensation: $80,000 – $90,000 DOE/neg
Locations: San Diego, CA
Reports To: Chairman, Board of Directors
Director of Operations
Compensation: $80,000 – $90,000 DOE/neg
To create generational wealth through business enterprise, education, employment, and investing.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a severe and disproportionate effect on Black-owned businesses and their communities. Over the past 18 months, the Central San Diego Black Chamber of Commerce has played a leading role in both advocacy and the provision of financial relief and other supports. The Chamber quickly raised and deployed $1 million in new relief grants and other supportive services, assisting 244 businesses, 75% of which were women-owned enterprises. These critical relief efforts helped Black businesses REOPEN, RECOVER, and REBUILD.
In addition to COVID relief, the Chamber is focused on supporting the future growth and prosperity of our region. Through innovative programming, networking opportunities, and business partnerships, we help advance and strengthen inclusive economic development efforts throughout the City and County of San Diego.
The Chamber’s social impact focuses on empowering our communities through:
- Closing the economic and educational gap.
- Fostering greater financial autonomy
- Increasing college and high school graduation rates
- Increasing participation in community impact and involvement
Our membership is comprised of over 2,000 businesses, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, students, and individuals, united in our shared commitment to equity, inclusion, and access. The Chamber’s annual operating budget of approximately $1M is comprised of grant funding (50%), membership (30%) and corporate sponsorships (20%). We are led by 10-person board of directors representing diverse leaders and executives from the technology, education, government, finance, and healthcare sectors.
The Chamber works closely with a diverse array of partners and financial supporters including The San Diego Foundation, SDG&E, Google, City of San Diego, Alliance Healthcare Foundation, Sycuan Casino & Resort, Rady Children’s Hospital, San Diego Community College District, San Diego Padres, San Diego Regional EDC, Wells Fargo, Sony, Union Bank California Coast Credit Union, Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation, UC San Diego, Port of San Diego. Please visit us at https://sdblackchamber.org/ to learn more about our organization.
Reporting to our Board Chairman, the Director of Operations is a newly created role, overseeing our day-to-day business operations and playing a key role in the sustainability and scalability of the organization. Working closely with both the President & CEO and the Board, they will oversee a team of 4 staff members: Membership Manager, Marketing Manager, Program Manager, and Administrative Coordinator.
Strategic priorities for this position include:
- Retain and expand the Chamber’s member base.
- Build awareness by being visible in the wider San Diego community, attending events, serving in leadership positions, and building relationships.
- Expand the Chamber’s regional footprint through thoughtful marketing and brand development initiatives.
- Ensure the Chamber remains in compliance with all current and future grant requirements
- Support the President & CEO on fundraising initiatives by continually scanning for grant, sponsorship and earned revenue opportunities.
- Recruit high-performing team members based on desired organizational structure.
Anticipated focus allocation:
- Leadership and staff management: 25%
- Membership and program development: 25%
- Marketing: 25%
- Administration: 25%
Duties & Responsibilities
Operations and Management:
- Operationalize our strategic roadmap in collaboration with the President & CEO; set clear goals for marketing, branding and business growth.
- Oversee all day-to-day business and administrative operations.
- Conduct a top-to-bottom review of administrative and operational procedures; bring systems up-to-date and ensure they can support future growth.
- Ensure effective systems are implemented to track and scale progress; regularly evaluate program metrics; report out to the board, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Serve as a thought partner and sounding for the President & CEO and Board.
- Work with the Chamber’s CPA firm on all accounting matters and ensure new hires are within budget; forecast financial requirements and report to the Board.
- Ensure programmatic excellence including rigorous initiatives to support entrepreneurs, consistent fundraising and communications; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
Marketing & Communications
- Build awareness of the Chamber, its mission and impact across the San Diego region.
- Manage internal and external communications across all mediums and platforms.
- Serve as spokesperson and ambassador to build awareness of our mission and impact; develop relationships with individuals and organizations connected to our goals.
- Design, expand and execute expansion into new markets such as business/tech startups, millennials, women-owned businesses, etc.
- Co-create all communications materials to ensure consistency with the Chamber’s brand, including digital newsletters, fundraising pieces, event flyers, and press releases.
- Partner with the President & CEO to expand and diversify revenue streams, including sponsorships, philanthropy and earned income.
- In collaboration with the President & CEO, identify opportunities and develop proposals for funding sources.
- Oversee the execution of 2-3 in-person events of various sizes each year, in addition to events, programs and webinars.
Required Experience, Skills & Abilities
- 5+ years’ experience in a leadership/management capacity.
- Solid business acumen including budgeting, reporting, operations, and marketing.
- Understanding and appreciation for the complexities and opportunities across and within the greater San Diego region.
- Experience managing strategic planning, financial forecasting, budgets, and oversight.
- Experience ensuring organizational compliance with federal, state, and local regulations, standards, and best practices.
- Proven ability to create lasting and impactful cross-sector relationships/partnerships with a wide array of organizations in business, government, academia, nonprofit services, funders, and community organizations.
- A successful track record in growing and diversifying funding sources such as individual giving, events, grants, contracts, and other partnerships.
- Skilled at managing multiple priorities, meeting deadlines, adjusting to shifting priorities, and demonstrating confidence when working with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience working with a board of community leaders, including reporting, advising and board member recruitment.
- Ability to engage staff and develop each team member to their fullest potential.
- Prior experience creating work environments that are inclusive, productive, and healthy.
- Exceptionally well-developed written and oral communication skills including listening and the ability to connect with and inspire a wide range of partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to drive innovative marketing and communications strategies to build awareness and highlight community impact.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills with the ability to passionately and effectively tell our story and inspire others to action; must enjoy public events.
- Passionate for advocacy and community-based work; demonstrates an unyielding commitment to diversity, social justice, equity, and economic opportunity.
- Ability to work with high-profile, high-energy senior executives; skilled at translating strategy and vision into reality.
- Exceptionally organized and able to keep multiple projects moving forward on schedule.
- Tenacious, determined, and self-motivated individual who overcomes obstacles and perseveres in the wake of setbacks.
- Entrepreneurial and hands-on; enjoys figuring out solutions and generating big impact on a small budget.
- Forward-thinking with a track record of pursuing and executing opportunities that drive long-term goals and yield lasting impact.
- Possesses strong character and a high level of emotional intelligence; able to tactfully yet assertively defend an idea or position; thick-skinned and comfortable with very direct communication styles – not afraid of having the difficult conversations when required.
- An effective coach and mentor capable of leading and developing a young, high-potential team.
- Consensus builder and natural connector who can bring the right people and resources together to effect change.
- Empowers and develops staff, providing growth opportunities for team members, yet remains hands-on with daily business operations as required.
- Acts with humility, self-awareness, and unyielding ethical standards.
- Receptive to feedback and gathers input from various stakeholders; able to draw boundaries where appropriate and tactfully defend them.
- Possesses a growth mindset; constantly seeks ways to improve and innovate.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101
Tia Anzellotti, Director