Director of Community & Volunteer Engagement
Jewish Family Service of San Diego (JFS) is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient San Diego. Founded in 1918, we are one of San Diego’s most impactful non-profit human services agencies. Last year, we served more than 39,500 clients, including over 17,000 asylum seekers at the JFS Migrant Family Shelter. Our broad network of staff, volunteers, supporters, and community partners are committed to the pursuit of one shared goal: helping individuals and families in San Diego move forward.
JFS welcomes people of all backgrounds, assisting them to build stable and dignified lives. Together, we can create a stronger, healthier community where everyone can thrive. Our services empower individuals and families to move toward self-sufficiency, support aging with dignity, and foster community connection and engagement throughout San Diego County, Orange County, and the Coachella Valley. Today, JFS is stronger than ever, with over 430 team members, supported by nearly 1,500 volunteers annually. This enables us to provide an incredibly comprehensive range of services, from food assistance and transportation to counseling and career coaching – nearly 30 different programs in all.
Leadership & Culture
JFS is led by an exceptional executive team, dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusivity, learning, and growth. Our focus is to create a highly supportive environment where team members can do their very best work. This position reports to our Chief Advancement Officer, Kea Spurrier. As an integral member of our dynamic Advancement Team, the Director will join an engaged and energized team of 36 professionals working collaboratively to raise $70M annually to provide more than 46,000 clients with life-changing services each year. Donors and volunteers are the heart of our work. You will find them to be the kindest, most compassionate people to work with.
Benefits & Features
- Salary: $62,400 – $80,000
- Comprehensive, low-cost healthcare coverage for employees
- Generous 401(k) contributions
- Life insurance
- Generous paid time off and sick leave
- COVID-19 sick pay for employees unable to work due to quarantine or isolation
- 12 paid holidays
- 3 paid floating holidays
- 2 paid wellness days
- 4:00 pm close time every Friday
The location of this role is hybrid, with an office located at 8804 Balboa Ave., San Diego, CA 92123.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer and supervising two Community and Volunteer Engagement Coordinators, the Director of Community & Volunteer Engagement is an integral member of Jewish Family Service of San Diego’s dynamic Advancement Team. This is a highly collaborative role, partnering with Programs, Development, and Marketing to ensure strategy, goals, and priorities are aligned with our mission and vision, ensuring JFS remains a leading venue for individuals and groups to engage in meaningful service opportunities. The Director will provide primary oversight of our volunteer network of over 1,500 active volunteers and is responsible for developing and implementing innovative community engagement strategies to support and grow our volunteer program. It is an exciting time to join JFS as we are growing rapidly and eager to reimagine and rebuild our volunteer program. This role is a tremendous opportunity for a compassionate and charismatic leader excited about engaging and motivating volunteers in ways that truly benefit our community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a comprehensive plan for measurable volunteer growth that meets program needs through the continued engagement of the existing volunteer base, re-activation of previous volunteers, and the acquisition of new and diverse community volunteers.
- In coordination with Marketing, develop a communications strategy to publicize opportunities, recruit volunteers, and share stories of impact through a monthly volunteer newsletter and social media.
- Develop and maintain internal structures, policies, and procedures that support all aspects of volunteer engagement following HIPAA and applicable HR guidelines.
- Ensure smooth, day-to-day volunteer operations, focused on impactful, meaningful, inclusive, and positive volunteer experiences.
- Address volunteer challenges, complaints, or disciplinary needs, while consulting on and elevating any issues involving legal risks, safety, or donor and partner relationships to the supervisor.
- Create and implement a comprehensive volunteer recognition plan that acknowledges exceptional efforts, the longevity of volunteerism, the number of hours contributed annually, and other life events, as appropriate.
- Solicit internal and external feedback on the strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities of volunteer and community engagement to inform strategy. Suggests new and improved systems, tools, and processes to innovate our impact on the community.
- Post opportunities online, attend job fairs, cultivate partnerships with external groups and community organizations, and develop and implement a comprehensive recruitment marketing plan.
- Manage team’s workflow in responding to daily community inquiries, processing volunteer applications and shift sign-ups, managing on-site volunteers, and tracking volunteer hours.
- Manage and maintain the Galaxy Digital database to ensure the integrity of volunteer records for accurately reporting metrics and impact.
- Track community relationships and outreach efforts in the Raiser’s Edge database to measure community impact and map the network.
- Coordinate staff support for community fairs, events, presentations, and community-based meetings.
- Coordinate with Learning and Development to create and deliver volunteer orientations, trainings, and engagement events to develop volunteers’ skills and interests and increase retention.
- Coordinate with Learning and Development to create and deliver trainings for employees supervising volunteers to foster a community of practice.
- Prepare and manage the volunteer engagement annual budget.
- Demonstrated experience in all aspects of volunteer engagement and supervision of professional employees and volunteers, including risk management and compliance.
- Knowledge of current trends, resources, and information related to volunteerism and community engagement.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously and with a keen eye for detail; data-driven; motivated, with a positive personality and excellent follow-through.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to connect with and inspire a wide range of partners and stakeholders; exceptional people skills; customer service oriented; comfortable with public speaking.
- Proficiency in computer use and information management technologies, including volunteer platforms and Microsoft Suite.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Jewish Family Service of San Diego has a duty to provide and maintain a workplace that safeguards the health of our employees and their families, our guests, our volunteers, and the community from the COVID-19 virus. To help prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, JFS requires that all its employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We make accommodations for eligible medical and religious exemptions, which can be discussed upon hire.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Sarah Thompson, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 First Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101