Salary: $100,000 – $120,000 DOE/neg.
Locations: San Diego (Mission Valley)
Reports To: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: 2
Chief Executive Officer
Salary: $100,000 – $120,000 DOE/neg.
WHO WE ARE:
Our brand, zero8hundred, refers to the start of a brand-new day as we help ease southern California’s military service members and their families from one chapter of their lives to another as they transition from the military to civilian life. zero8hundred delivers online resource navigation and direct case management services through a unique relationship with the Armed Forces that allows interaction and engagement with military service members and their spouses up to a full year prior and for a full year following their transition. Resource Specialists provide direct support to individuals through telephone/email and in-person/virtual meetings to help them craft and execute an individual transition plan. Areas of support include employment preparation/placement, educational opportunities, health management (for both physical and mental health), basic needs like housing, childcare, legal aid and financial assistance and social/community connections. zero8hundred provides ongoing case management and follow-up while referring clients to trusted service providers and opportunities in these critical areas. Additionally, self-navigation to vetted local area resources, for those wanting to independently maneuver their transition, is facilitated through VetsThrive, a fully online platform powered by zero8hundred.
Since our launch in 2015, zero8hundred has provided assistance to almost 5,000 participants and has been implemented across San Diego, Riverside, Imperial, Orange and San Bernardino counties. In addition to those separating from active-duty military service, zero8hundred also serves those recent veterans, Reservists and National Guardsmen who have separated from active-duty service or returned from any 30+ day/out of area mobilization within the past year. A tax-exempt 501(c)3 since 2018, our team of 7 staff are focused on providing the resources our patriots need to ensure they thrive as they shed the role of military service member and join our southern California civilian workforce and community.
This is an extremely exciting time to join zero8hundred, and take this groundbreaking organization into its next chapter. The CEO oversees all aspects of the organization, including strategic planning, development, outreach, operations, budgeting, administration and logistics. They will be responsible for all fundraising efforts to ensure we reach our 2021 development goal of $1 million+. This position works closely with our partner organizations which include: the US military, government agencies, elected officials, nonprofits, businesses, and philanthropic institutions. The CEO will need first-hand knowledge of the military transition experience and active relationships with the local military community at a senior level. As such, prior military experience (or experience as a military family member) is strongly desirable. The CEO will oversee a team that includes (at a minimum) the Programs Director, HR/Admin Manager, 2-5 Resource Specialists, 2-4 intern Resource Specialists, and a Marketing/Outreach Coordinator along with a contract CFO. The position requires a background check and does not include relocation.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Fundraising & Development (60%)
- Responsible for all aspects of fundraising and development efforts to ensure we hit our 2021 goal of $1 million+ through corporate/foundation grants, government RFPs, private/community donors and other sources.
- Create and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government RFP and individual giving approaches.
- Oversee and research funding sources and trends to help position the organization ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Forge new relationships with potential funders and enrich relationships with existing funders to ensure continued and enhanced financial support.
- Diversify our funding streams, with a particular emphasis on growing our government funding opportunities and development of a base of individual donors and major gift contributions.
- Design and oversee special events to secure additional revenue opportunities.
- Prepare grant applications and required grant reports.
Organizational Leadership and Management (20%)
- Establish and maintain a vision for community impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders and team members dedicated to serving those who have already served us.
- Craft organizational goals and develop strategies to ensure they are achieved.
- Foster a positive, mutually respectful work environment; manage two direct reports (Programs Director and HR/Admin Manager).
- Continue to grow and scale the organization in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Oversee operational and fiscal management of the organization, keeping the Board of Directors informed of any significant developments or opportunities.
- Manage expenditures and monitor monthly and annual budgets, mitigating financial risks.
External Outreach & Collaboration (20%)
- Serve as the public face of zero8hundredto the community and media. Drive awareness of the organization, its programs and its unique service model across the region and nationally.
- Conduct outreach to military branches and Develop and renew memorandums of understanding (MOUs) with partners.
- Cultivate, develop and maintain effective working relationships with partner organizations.
- Organize and facilitate Board of Directors and Community Advisory Committee meetings.
- Oversee programs evaluation to track and evaluate service outcomes, impact and effectiveness.
- Develop monthly reports for the Board of Directors and quarterly reports for funders, partners and the community to keep them informed of the impact of the organization and its programs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Knowledge and Experience
- Prior military service (or as military spouse) strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated fundraising or business development experience.
- Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector. Alternatively, extensive senior strategic leadership experience managing organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization.
- A demonstrated track record of building collaborations with the community at large.
- Possesses anexisting network of southern California military, government, business, funder and nonprofit relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred in business, public administration, or not for profit management.
Leadership and Communication
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for veterans/military-related support initiatives.
- Proven experience building high performance teams (hiring, training, managing).
- Experience representing organizations in the media and at a wide variety of public venues.
- Superior organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proven experience at implementing an organizational strategy while building strong collaborations with other agencies.
- Unquestioned integrity and a strong sense of accountability.
- Practical ability to get things done with a thoughtful approach to management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A high energy level and sense of humor.
Strategy and Operations
- Ability to see the big picture and to build on previous successes.
- Demonstrated flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives.
- Visionto see what is necessary to scale a program in accordance with a strategic plan.
- Demonstratedability to establish and execute defined goals and objectives.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills, with a results-oriented focus.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY:
Blair Search Partners
Sarah Thompson, Director
1855 First Ave., Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101