Compensation: $82,000 – 90,000 DOE/neg.
Location: San Marcos, CA
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct reports: 3 (Development Coordinator, Communications & Marketing Coordinator, and Executive Assistant & Resource Coordinator)
WHO WE ARE:
Our mission is to inspire and enable all young people to realize their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens. The Boys & Girls Club of San Marcos is part of a nationwide movement of community-based, autonomous organizations. We are part of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, working to help youth of all backgrounds develop the qualities needed to become responsible citizens and leaders. We opened our doors in 1979 at Woodland Park in San Marcos, serving several hundred youth from the local area. Now approaching our 40th anniversary, the Club provides services across 13 different sites, including schools and affordable housing communities. With an operating budget of $2.4 million, we serve over 5,000 youth ages 6 to 18 primarily from San Marcos, as well as neighboring communities. To learn more about the Boys and Girls Club of San Marcos, please visit us: https://www.boysgirlsclubsm.org/
The VP of Philanthropy is responsible for leading, improving, and expanding the organization’s funding strategies and infrastructure. Working extremely closely with our CEO, the VP of Philanthropy will lead our efforts in donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and corporate relations across all our 13 sites, and will serve as a member of the senior management team. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships in the community to build the club’s visibility, impact, and financial resources.
This position will have major responsibility for our entire portfolio, with an emphasis on individual and major gifts. With a personal goal of $1 million, they will have wide latitude to develop new and existing funding streams to help diversify the organization’s revenue base. Additionally, the VP of Philanthropy manages a staff of 3 highly competent, enthusiastic, full-time employees: Development Coordinator, Communications & Marketing Coordinator, and Executive Assistant & Resource Coordinator, in addition to a contract Grant Writer. With the Club’s upcoming 40th anniversary, the VP of Philanthropy will play a key role in leveraging this milestone to drive visibility and fundraising efforts for the organization. This is truly a unique opportunity to create an immense impact within San Marcos!
Strategic priorities for the VP of Philanthropy include:
- Improving and expanding a professional fundraising operation.
- Growing the Club’s base of individual and major donors.
- Building a strong corporate giving pipeline.
- Increasing grant funding and exploring additional new revenue sources.
- Develop and execute strategies for all of the Club’s fundraising areas including individual giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, campaigns, planned giving, special events, grants, and an annual fund.
- Build a culture of philanthropy across the organization; train staff on ways they can support development efforts in their various positions.
- Serve as a close strategic advisor and partner to the President and CEO.
- Coach, mentor, develop and manage the Club’s development team members.
- Create and implement innovative strategies for securing new and untapped resources.
- Work with staff members, the Board of Directors, and other stakeholders to proactively enhance, expand, and execute development efforts, building current and new relationships.
Donor Development & Engagement
- Work directly with donors at multiple levels including prospecting, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Identify, research and solicit potential donors and funding sources.
- Build and maintain critical relationships with key local organizations and partners.
- Through research and contact with donors, develop a deeply informed sense of their interests, capacity and viewpoint.
- Plan and execute a moves management approach to individual and institutional giving to increase major gifts.
- Establish policies, systems, plans, goals, and procedures, with a special emphasis on professionalism and ethical standards, for soliciting, acknowledging, tracking, and reporting gifts.
- Provide outstanding customer service and support to donors, volunteers, staff and other community contacts.
- Oversee grants/reporting schedule to assure timely submissions and reports on all grant funding.
- Oversee continuing improvement of our fundraising databases and systems.
- Leverage technology and data across all development strategies and practices.
Public Relations, Communications and Marketing
- Integrate development and marketing/communications strategies to maximize the Club’s brand exposure and fundraising opportunities.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of fundraising events to deliver a superb donor experience and meet fundraising goals.
ATTRIBUTES & WORK STYLE:
- Passionate: Driven by the Club’s mission, which is to provide a world-class Club experience that assures success is within reach of every young person who comes through our doors.
- Team Player: A servant-leader who fosters a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment.
- Growth Mindset: Views challenges as learning opportunities.
- Community-minded: Skilled at connecting with people across the community, including small business leaders, while demonstrating a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Sociable: Charismatic, warm and welcoming; a true “people-person.”
- Reflective: Skilled at receiving and giving feedback and performance critiques.
- Meticulous: Superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Planning and Process Management: Extremely detail-oriented, with excellent organizational, time management, multi-tasking, and planning capabilities.
- Communicative: Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Self-Starter: Demonstrates a strong personal initiative and sound decision-making skills.
- Optimistic: Maintains an upbeat and enthusiastic attitude, even under pressure.
- Resourceful: Willingness to jump in and assist colleagues with a variety of tasks across the organization.
- Collaborative: Ability to motivate and collaborate successfully with a dedicated Board of local leaders and business professionals.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- A passion for moving young people
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher preferred.
- 5+ years of professional experience in nonprofit fundraising (full cycle).
- Ability/experience in constructing, articulating and implementing a strategic development plan.
- Experience developing and managing annual budgets over $1M.
- Strong leadership skills to mentor and motivate development staff to reach development goals.
- Excellent communication skills: using both written and oral skills to influence and engage constituents.
- A history of working directly with board members in support of fundraising efforts.
- Practical marketing experience covering both print and digital/social media.
- Proficient with technology and adept at switching to/integrating new systems and platforms.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as required for events and donor meetings.