Salary: $100 – $115,000
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Direct reports: 5 + 2 consultants
Status: Full-time, exempt
Location: San Diego, CA (Encinitas area)
In April of 2009, a group of military spouses got together in the hopes of making a difference in the lives of military families. They knew the issues surrounding military families, and saw the need for a platform where military family members could join forces with the general public and their communities to address the challenges of military life. Since then, BSF has grown from a few military spouses around a kitchen table, to a global program reaching more than 1.5 million military families every year.
We Know Military Families, Because We Are Military Families:
Everything we do here at Blue Star Families is focused on strengthening US military families serving worldwide. Through career development, care giving, and our leading research on military family life, we’re striving to better understand and provide solutions to the challenges facing today’s military families. We are a virtual organization, with 33 employees and additional volunteers located around the world. The vast majority of our team members are either veterans, military spouses, or professionals with firsthand experience serving the military, or related causes. With more than 100,000 members and 37 chapters at military installations around the globe, Blue Star Families is the nation’s largest chapter-based nonprofit serving America’s military families. We have offices in Washington, DC and San Diego, CA, as well as 6 regional hubs around the country.
The Director of Digital Marketing & Engagement (DME) will be a key member of our leadership team. This position will have a major impact on the military family movement, which has the attention of key leaders in Washington, the media and the nonprofit sector. The position’s core functions are:
1) Design and implement a comprehensive communications and engagement plan for rapid membership growth and deeper member engagement through traditional and new methods of marketing, including website and social media design/management.
2) Grow donor and corporate sponsorship connections and promote public advocacy with compelling collateral (physical pieces, video and online.
3) Support organizational operations, including outreach, campaign optimization, such as growing our user funnel, member segmentation and acquisition, channel testing and analytics.
4) Oversee communications and PR for the organization in general.
Leveraging advanced technology, the Director of DME will expand outreach, track, oversee and organize every Blue Star member interaction throughout the user lifecycle. The ultimate objective is to optimize the overall member experience, thereby building engagement and loyalty amongst the military families we serve.
The Director of DME will lead the Technology Engagement and Marketing (TEM) team, and develop a strategic communications and marketing plan, covering all technology platforms across the organization. Responsibilities include daily operations such as managing vendors, staff, supplies and equipment, as well as the financial administration of the department. This position serves as a member of the senior management team, working with the COO, CEO, and Board of Directors in charting BSF’s strategic direction, and ensuring operational effectiveness and accountability to all constituencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Define and administer the overall policies and goals for the TEM department
• Train, supervise, and lead staff, many of who work remotely
• Develop and execute a comprehensive digital marketing strategy
• Assist in development and execution of a year-long communications plan
• Optimize the end-to-end user experience across multiple channels and touch points
• Build successful user acquisition campaigns, both on and offline
• Use data-driven approaches to shape strategy and tactics
• Design and implement segment-specific strategies across all channels such as landing page conversion and email marketing
• Lead efforts to test and optimize new channels
• Define requirements for the desktop and mobile website member experience, including flow/landing pages, and SEO/SEM content
• Plan, execute, and measure A/B testing and conversion tests
• Analyze BSF’s business needs, and determine better ways to serve each department
• Create a professional culture that attracts, retains and motivates high performing staff and volunteers
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Attributes:
• Demonstrated ability to effective lead and manage teams in a virtual work environment
• Familiarity with the military community, culture, lifestyle, organizational structure, and terminology, as well as familiarity with military family programming
• Excellent knowledge of social media, SEO, content marketing and advertising
• Ability to balance a highly analytical, metrics-focused approach, with a strong creative mind, capable of developing, launching and managing breakthrough campaigns
• Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast-paced startup-like work environment
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively across disciplines and with partners both inside and outside the organization
• Organized and able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
• Excellent writing skills with the ability to create compelling content
• Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary to carry out key job functions
• Out-of-town, overnight travel required from time-to-time
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field
• 10+ years of digital marketing experience, including CRMSs (Salesforce) and dashboards
• Experience in setting up and managing Google Analytics
• Proven skill and comfort in managing and prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously
• Experience developing and managing budgets
• Proven team building skills: staff hiring, training, supervising, and coaching/developing
Desired Skills & Experience:
• Experience/knowledge of HTML, CSS and CMS platforms
• Experience in membership-driven organizations
• Experience in volunteer service and/or working in military family programs
• Experience with the agile software development process/iterative development
For more information or apply please contact:
Trevor Blair, Principal,
Blair Search Partners