Position Title: Associate Vice President – Bastyr University California
Locations: San Diego, CA (Sorrento Valley area)
Reports to: Sr. Vice President and Provost
Campus Size: Local student body of approx. 250 students, 40 faculty and 27 staff members
Bastyr University California is seeking a new Associate Vice President to serve as our campus leader.
For the past 40 years, Bastyr University has served as the world’s leading academic center for advancing
and integrating knowledge in the natural health arts and sciences. Our mission is to educate future
leaders in the natural health arts and sciences. Through our integrated approach to education, research,
and clinical service, we are transforming the health and well-being of the human community.
In September of 2012, the University expanded beyond its original Washington location, opening a new
site in San Diego: Bastyr University California (BUC), the state’s first and only accredited school of
naturopathic medicine. Academic offerings at BUC now include Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine,
Master of Science in Nutrition for Wellness and Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology. We are focused
on rigorous, science-based education. To learn more about Bastyr University and our programs, please
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President/Provost, and serving as a member of the President’s Executive
Leadership Team, the Associate Vice President (AVP) will play a critical role in the ongoing success of
BUC, with responsibilities such as creating and executing strategic initiatives; driving student enrollment
and patient outreach; leading local advancement/fundraising efforts; managing business processes and
procedures; overseeing campus operations; ensuring student, faculty, staff, and patient satisfaction;
developing meaningful partnerships with various community partners; and promoting integrative
medicine as a valuable and crucial resource in our region. Working in close partnership with our
Kenmore, Washington campus, the AVP will have tremendous influence on the growth and sustainability
of Bastyr University California.
Anticipated focus allocation:
- Promoting student enrollment/patient outreach and BUC’s overall visibility – 25%
- General administration and operations – 25%
- Coaching, managing and mentoring staff – 25%
- Program planning and partnerships – 12.5%
- Fundraising – 12.5%
Outcomes & Priorities
The top outcomes and priorities for the AVP within year 1 include:
- Serve as BUC’s ambassador to the San Diego community and increase the campus’s visibility and
- Strengthen lines of communication with various BUC stakeholders, thereby promoting a culture
of accountability, integrity, excellence, transparency, and inclusivity.
- Gain a formidable understanding of university policy and procedures, specifically regarding
common functions and services that occur between the campuses.
- Establish rapport and build relationships with BUC faculty and staff, in turn providing
professional development and mentorship opportunities, and improving overall leadership
- Function as the point of contact for current partners, and identify at least two to three strategic,
new partnership opportunities that drive enrollment, funding, and other prioritized efforts.
- Identify operational inefficiencies, then through collaboration between the two campuses,
implement their respective solutions.
- In conjunction with the VP of Advancement and Enrollment Services (VPAES), establish a list of
fund development relationships to cultivate and to secure funding from.
- Identify, along with the VPAES’ Admission’s team, several high-quality targets that will partner
with BUC to increase admissions.
- Partner with the Provost and Deans to identify (in line with the Academic Master Plan and the
2030 BUC plan) the correct academic programmatic content for BUC.
- Create and monitor financial statements/budgets related to BUC.
- Ensure compliance with all institutional and programmatic accreditation standards.
Additional outcomes and priorities for the AVP within years 2-5 include:
- Double student enrollment and deliver the best learning experience possible for students.
- Increase staff and faculty retention and satisfaction rates.
- Continue efforts to add additional programs, and form at least 3-5 new clinical teaching
- Secure funding for research and other initiatives.
- Drive discussions around integrative medicine throughout Southern California, with a focus on
connecting BUC with major community health initiatives.
Other Experience, Skills, & Abilities
- Master’s degree required. Professional experience in lieu of degree may be considered.
- 10+ years’ experience as a leader, manager or key team member of a small-to-medium-sized
organization, preferably in academia/higher education.
- Experience with and passion for integrative medicine and community health desirable.
- Experience working as part of an executive team, with key members located across multiple
- Track record of success with growing existing funding sources and adding new revenue sources,
such as enrollment, individual giving, events, grants, contracts, and other partnerships.
- Demonstrated mentoring experience in a nonprofit or business setting.
- Solid business acumen including budgeting, reporting, operations, and marketing.
- Impressive communication skills (written and oral), plus strong listening skills and the ability to
connect with and inspire a wide range of partners and stakeholders.
- An unwavering dedication and enthusiasm for our work, which is to advance and integrate
knowledge in the natural health arts and sciences.
- An inclusive leader who truly cares for the well-being of each team member and takes an active
role in their development.
- Warmth and charisma; demonstrates an appropriate level of executive presence.
- Behaves with humility, self-awareness, and unyielding ethical standards.
- Promotes a workplace culture of accountability, inclusiveness, and collaboration.
- Honors, respects, and seeks to increase the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
of the campus’ students, faculty, and staff.
- Exhibits a high level of emotional intelligence; practices discretion and behaves with integrity.
- Demonstrates empathy and reflective listening skills.
- Unabashed optimist who can see through or around obstacles.
- An innovative thinker with a growth mindset, pairing ideas with solutions and measurable
- A natural connector who can bring the right people and resources together to effect change.
- Exceptional mind for optimizing workflows and managing people, systems, procedures, budgets,
- Perseverant; sees things through to completion, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks
Bastyr University is an equal opportunity employer which embraces diversity as a competitive advantage. We are committed to hiring practices that engage candidates across the spectrum of ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation and identification, age, economic circumstance, physical ability, geography, and more. Bastyr University promotes an educational environment that allows students, faculty and staff to develop their interests and talents while experiencing a sense of community created through a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Liliane Lendvai, Director
550 West B Street, Fourth Floor
San Diego, CA 92101