Salary: $75,000 – $85,000.
Locations: San Diego, CA (Escondido).
Reports To: Deputy Project Director
Direct Reports: 4 (Senior Staff Accountant x3, Payroll Specialist)
Salary: $75,000 – $85,000.
Creating Opportunities. Changing Lives.
Equus Workforce Solutions is the largest and most comprehensive provider of workforce solutions in the country. We are a division of BrightSpring® Health Services, formerly ResCare, founded over 30 years ago and headquartered in Louisville, KY. Today BrightSpring employs over 45,000 team members across several business areas throughout the US and Canada. Every day our programs serve over 120,000 people, providing critical assistance, support, and training to help them reach their employment and financial self-sufficiency goals.
Community impact defines our approach to each program. Partnering closely with government agencies, businesses, and nonprofit organizations, we design and implement transformative workforce networks that are locally responsive, community-based, outcomes-focused, and client-centered. This results in simplified and effective pathways to finding sustainable employment for individuals based on their needs.
Here in the greater San Diego region, our team of over 100 staff members operates four unique programs providing a range of employment and supportive services:
- COVID Emergency
- Regional Homeless Assistance
- CalWORKs family support
- CA Emergency Solutions Housing
The Accounting Manager is a critical position for our San Diego operations and serves on our local leadership team. The ideal candidate could come from a corporate accounting background, although prior experience in the areas of workforce development, government or nonprofit services would be very helpful. Once settled into the Accounting Manager position, this individual will have the opportunity to get involved with a myriad of programs and projects across the organization. We are looking for an experienced manager, who also enjoys rolling up their sleeves and digging into the work.
Anticipated focus allocation:
- Managing staff, coaching, and reviewing work product – 50%
- Process improvements, systems upgrades, SOPs and documentation – 20%
- Other accounting and business projects – 20%
- Audit preparation and oversight – 10%
Priority areas: Year 1
- Assume leadership of the Accounting team and ensure staff have all the required skills and resources to support the local organization.
- Learn our current accounting systems, processes, and workflows.
- Become familiar with our monthly and yearly budgeting processes.
- Identify possible areas for improvement.
- Review our current SOP’s and checklists – make upgrades as necessary.
Priority areas: Years 2-5
- Assist in onboarding and supporting new contracts.
- Take a leadership role in our budgeting process.
- Assume additional responsibilities in other parts of the organization, such as operations and programs.
- Consider additional growth opportunities with Equus and BrightSpring nationally and internationally.
- Coordinates all local accounting activities including establishment of accounts and procedures, reporting and record keeping.
- Effectively leads the Accounting team, ensuring staff have the support they need to reach their full potential while working within a happy and healthy workplace culture.
- Assists with monthly, quarterly, and annual audit requirements.
- Reviews and approves reconciliations and journal entries to ensure accuracy and follow-up on any unusual items; reports to management on variances from budget possible causes.
- Ensures all general ledger accounts are reconciled to subsidiary records on a monthly basis.
- Plans and directs ledger accounts and control systems to include all payroll transactions into the Oracle ERP system.
- Collaborates with staff and departments across the organization to provide information and accounting support as required.
- Evaluates and makes appropriate improvements to internal accounting processes, ensuring that practices are in line with overall organizational goals.
- Oversees maintenance of systems and controls to ensure data integrity.
- Serves as a key partner to our internal and external auditors.
- Communicates key information to top executive management in a timely manner.
- Administers supplier contract terms, verifies compliance and reviews payments.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Attributes & Work Style
- Proactive:demonstrates strong personal initiative and sound decision-making skills.
- Confident:a true professional who embraces the challenge of learning a new role, a new organization and perhaps a new sector.
- Analytical: extremely organized and detail-oriented; a natural problem solver with a passion for implementing systems and procedures to make things run better.
- Metrics-driven:ability to pair ideas with solutions and measurable outcomes; firm but fair, holding team members accountable for performance.
- Community-minded: genuinely inspired by our work, which is to provide vital, high-quality social services that encourage healthy interdependence.
- Servant-leader:a team player who fosters a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment; someone who truly cares about the well-being of each team member and takes an active role in their development.
- Authentic:acts with integrity, sets a tone of transparency and candor, and forms trusting relationships in all directions.
- Strategic: capable of setting big picture, long-term goals for the Accounting department in support of overall company strategy and objectives.
- Communicative:effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Flexible: ability to embrace shifts in priorities; possesses excellent change management skills.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- 5-8 years of experience in Accounting, including 2-3 years in a supervisory role.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop teams.
- Corporate, nonprofit or government sector experience are all relevant.
- Prior experience managing, reviewing, or auditing government contracts extremely helpful.
Requisite Skills & Knowledge
- Sound understanding of revenue recognition, project invoicing, journal entry preparation and general accounting rules and US GAAP.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Master user level Microsoft Excel skills.
- Knowledge of internal and external audit requirements.
- Ability to utilize new tools and technologies in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knowledge of Oracle and ADP Enterprise highly desirable.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Sarah Thompson, Director, Blair Search Partners
1855 1st Ave., Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101